RGreen

Version not accessible under another name

I had reformatted my hard drive a few months ago and setup a couple of accounts on my computer under separate names for myself. I have now realized that the mail account that I use and that has the bulk of information coming in is not the same as the one that I have TMG under.

I have 6.01.00V reg.

Therefore I am having two problems at this time:

A) I am unable to use the "check for an update" under help but my computer is connected all the time via a LAN connection. Therefore there should not be a problem in updating it.

B) When I attempt to use it in my other directory this is what shows on screen "The copy of TMG in c:\pr..files\T..M..G.. was installed by "Richard G.." and was not made accessible to all users at that time. You must be logged in to windows as "Richard G..." to upgrade this copy of T..M..G... But it will not upgrade

Will I have to to back up my database, uninstall, then reinstall the program or is there a simpler solution that someone has noted. Thank you Richard G.

I think this has more to do with the way you have set up XP than TMG. You need to log in as Richard G. and then use TMG from there. Apparently you only gave Richard G the right to use TMG on that computer. I always give it to all users (on my home computer-not using a work network).

I think this has more to do with the way you have set up XP than TMG.  You need to log in as Richard G. and then use TMG from there.  Apparently you only gave Richard G the right to use TMG on that computer.  I always give it to all users (on my home computer-not using a work network).

Q1. My other question is why won't it allow me to update from the correct directory as the program closes when I attempt to do so?

Q2. If this is so (your response TY) is there a way that a change can be made to allow me to use it on my other user name and download updates?

Q3. Or is the only solution available to backup my date and reload the program?

Edited by RGreen

Q1. My other question is why won't it allow me to update from the correct directory as the program closes when I attempt to do so?

What exactly happens when you try to check for update? Are you doing this by using the Help > Check for update command? The first thing it does is close TMG.

Q2. If this is so (your response TY) is there a way that a change can be made to allow me to use it on my other user name and download updates?

So far as I know, you cannot move a program installation from one user to another.

You don't have to back up your data, though I would just to be extra safe. But uninstalling will not remove the data.

You can install TMG for each user on the machine, plus for "all users." The latter is the default, and unless you have some reason to restrict access, I'd use that. If you have more than one installation, each has to be in a separate folder. If you uninstall the current installation, you can install back to the same folder if you want.

If I remember rightly, when you install TMG you are asked if you want it to be accessible to all users.

The entry for the program in Add/Remove Programs is TMG (for all Users)

You could try a reinstall over the top and you may get the option to select all users.

You could also try changing the access rights to the TMG folder which may then allow you access.

You could also download the update direct from http://www.whollygenes.com/upgrade.htm and save to the TMG folder.

Edited by jeffpiper