Pat M

Exporting to excel or word

I noticed that TMG does not export to the default windows works programs and wondered if it would be useful to buy microsoft office to get excel and word. Are these used a lot by other TMG users? In what ways are they used? Are there somethings that are easier to do in a spreadsheet rather than TMG?

Pat M.

I noticed that TMG does not export to the default windows works programs and wondered if it would be useful to buy microsoft office to get excel and word. Are these used a lot by other TMG users? In what ways are they used? Are there somethings that are easier to do in a spreadsheet rather than TMG?

Pat M.

I see Works 1,2,3,4 listed. Does that not cover your version? (I'm still using WordPerfect so am not familiar with the Works versions and features).

I would guess most tmg users do not use spreadsheets as a regular adjunct to tmg unless it's for some special analysis.

I have on occasion exported a tmg list of people - using the Excel option - to my QuattroPro spreadsheet (so I would have printed grid lines). QuattroPro has no problem importing the Excel files. Perhaps Works can also accept an .xls extension file?

Virginia

I agree with Virginia that exporting to a speadsheet is uncommon - I don't recall ever doing it.

On the other hand, I've never printed a serious report directly from TMG - I always send it to Word for review, final formatting, and often conversion to pdf. Before investing in Word or the entire Office package, I'd explore how well you can import in Works. As I recall, recent versions of Works include Word, so that should not be a problem. If you don't have Word, try "rich text file" and the older Works formats and see what works for your system. However, there are some functions that many not be available when exporting to other than Word or WordPerfect.

I see Works 1,2,3,4 listed.  Does that not cover your version?  (I'm still using WordPerfect so am not familiar with the Works versions and features).

[]

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

Are you referring to the .wk* extensions? They are listed with the Lotus programs and I didn't realize they were the same as the works programs. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Just shows how much of a beginner I am :wub:

Pat

I agree with Virginia that exporting to a speadsheet is uncommon - I don't recall ever doing it.

[]

Before investing in Word or the entire Office package, I'd explore how well you can import in Works. As I recall, recent versions of Works include Word, so that should not be a problem. If you don't have Word, try "rich text file" and the older Works formats and see what works for your system. However, there are some

[]

Thanks for the advice, Terry! I'll experiment more with the works programs.

Pat

Thanks for the advice, Terry! I'll experiment more with the works programs.

Pat

The version of MSWorks bundled with computers up to a couple of years ago did not include MSWord. I found th Works text editor relatively useless for genealogy reports on a laptop purchased in 2002.

MS marketed a competitively priced retail package Called "Microsoft Works Suite 2005", which has a debugged MSword 2002 /XP version of that text editor, in place of the Works text editor. The Works 2005 suite also contains MS Streets and Trips, Money, and Picture It! 10. Although it does not have the power of the Excel spreadsheet, it does have the Works spreadsheet. Recommended.

The reason for the competitive pricing would seem to be the imminent release of OpenOffice.org 2.0 suite available for "free" download from the site with that URL address. Recommended.

John

The version of MSWorks bundled with computers up to a couple of years ago did not include MSWord. I found th Works text editor relatively useless for genealogy reports on a laptop purchased in 2002.

MS marketed a competitively priced retail package Called "Microsoft Works Suite 2005", which has a debugged MSword 2002 /XP version of that text editor, in place of the Works text editor. The Works 2005 suite also contains MS Streets and Trips, Money, and Picture It! 10. Although it does not have the power of the Excel spreadsheet, it does have the Works spreadsheet. Recommended.

The reason for the competitive pricing would seem to be the imminent release of OpenOffice.org 2.0 suite available for  "free" download from the site with that URL address. Recommended.

John

Thanks, for the info john! I'll check those out if my programs are unsatisfactory. My computer is only about ayear old so maybe I can get by wiyh what I have.

Pat

Thanks, for the info  john!  I'll check those out if my programs are unsatisfactory.  My computer is only about ayear old so maybe I can get by wiyh what I have.

Pat

Be sure to print (either to paper or to pdf files) some sample Journal reports containing headers, footers and endnotes, to see what is missing in Works text editor. Not certain about the "embedded" picture links to Works in Rich Text Format (RTF) or *.doc files from TMG. Otherwise, you might not know what you are missing. <g>

Be sure to print (either to paper or to pdf files) some sample Journal reports containing headers, footers and endnotes, to see what is missing in Works text editor. Not certain about the "embedded" picture links to Works in Rich Text Format (RTF) or *.doc files from TMG. Otherwise, you might not know what you are missing. <g>

OK, thanks! :)

Pat

I do use Word and Excel with TMG alot. However, I wouldn't buy them if they hadn't come with the computer.  I use Excel because once the data is in Excel, I can then format it how I want from there.

Thanks for the reply! I don't think I'll buy either, at least not at this time. I don't really have time to learn another new program right now, I'd rather concentrate on TMG. :)

Pat

Spreadsheets are very handy for lists of ... reports. What I like about them is that you can set the width of you column to as many characters as necessary to accommodate your columns. The result, you don't have to worry about truncation. See attached samples. After sending the report to Excel, I just open it and then drag the column headings to show all the info. You also do not have to worry about using courier, etc. fonts to keep your columns in line. The allows the use of compressed fonts to squeeze it all in for a report with lots of data/columns.

For those who do not have Excel, the free viewer from Microsoft is at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Jan in VA

:( Well, the forum would not let me add an Excel spreadsheet but if you would like to see it, I'd be willing to send it to you. The Word version of the report is attached. GreenwoodCemlotsec.DOC

Pat M.

I use MS Word 2000. All of my TMG text reports are output, there. I do some editing on over 90% of TMG reports. Usually something needs to be explained or something ugly needs hand editing. In some cases an error can be corrected without going through an hour of regenerating a long ahnentafel.

Another advantage is that you have the MS Word doc on disk, as backup.

Genealogy wouldn't be fun without editing reports before printing. To me, MS Word or its equivalent (I don't know of an equivalent) is a necessity. I've found no use for Excell with TMG, so far.

Best wishes,

Mike

Pat M.

I use both! I have for many years used TMG as well as a program Web2Excel <http://erosenbaum.netfirms.com/> which converts a GedCom-file to a csv-file that can easily be imported into Excel. I could not do without either.

Best regards

Elsebeth