MsScarlet1957

memos not always printing in report

I have been transcribing various obituaries using a voice recognition program which enters the text into a Word Document.

I have copied and pasted a particular obit for a person, and then created an individual Narrative to see how it looks.

The results are not always the same...

sometimes the memo field shows up on the report, sometimes it does not.

I am trying very hard to figure out what can be a "variable" that would cause this.

I have all obits in the same word document, just a couple blank lines to separate each one.

I am always using the same tag, one which I created called "obituary" (unique heh?)

with a sentence structure:

[:CR:][PG] <had|and [PO] had> an obituary< [D]>< [L]> <[:CR:][:TAB:][iTAL:] [M][:ITAL]>

which I have not modified from within any of the tags, only from the Master Tag List.

I am simply doing a copy and paste into the Memo field.

and getting the hit and miss on the report results.

I have not modifed the report definition, I have kept that constant...

I can create an IN report for one person, examine it, close it, open that same report for another person.. and never know who will have the memo show and who will not.

I have thought maybe somehow some formating was following in the copy and paste, so I right clicked in the memo field and chose "show formatting" and nothing showed up.

I can delete all in the memo and then just hand type "this is a test" and that always will appear, so somehow something is happening during the copy and paste, and it is not "always" happening.

Of the ten I just transcribed, copied, pasted and created IN reports on only two are not inserting the memo field when the report shows up on screen.

I even saw where I could right click on an empty memo field and choose "Paste unformatted text" and tried that with the paragraph that will not insert, and it still will not insert.

there are no { }'s anywhere in the obit.

I just can not see anything obviously different in the two "problem" obits in comparison to the other eight.

I have even taken the "problem obit" and emailed it to myself as a plain text email

then copied and pasted it, still that one obit does not show up in the IN report...

I am about to pull out my hair! :wacko:

Anyone have any suggestions?

There was an issue a few versions ago regarding pasting "formatted" text, and the recommendation at that time was to use a little utility called Pure Text. I think the right click paste unformatted text was the fix applied to resolve this issue. You can get Pure Text here http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/

I have found it highly useful in removing formatting in many applications, not just TMG.

:ph34r:

The thought that sprung to my mind was what version are you using?

And, if it is an earlier than 6.07, do you use function keys to open the memo before pasting?

Some earlier versions had issues about text not being saved if you hadn't clicked in the memo first before using something like an F7 paste F9 sequence.

Not a problem in the current version though.

I am using Version 6.07

and I did go and look at what it says for that "Pure Text" program and will try it.

I am happy to try anything...

but from what I read, the pure text won't do more that what the right click in the memo field does when you choose "paste unformatted text"

I also want to add that I did open Microsoft Notepad and paste the obit there, then copy and pasted it back into the Memo field, with no happy ending.

B)

And no I am not using a hot key to open the memo field, I am not having a problem with the text being saved... it is there once I paste it and close the "obituary" tag...

The problem is that the text from the Memo field is not showing up in a Narrative Report.

Well... "Sometimes" it is not showing up...

Creating and individual Narrative report for 2 out of 10 different folks it did not show up, Not one word of it. :angry:

The other suggestion of [iTAL:] movement I have had perfect reports created with it in the sentence structure for this tag for 8 out of 10 times...

I used to have it in the memo field and read somewhere on this forum... that you can put them in the sentence structure and save a lot of time, so I did that and have been very happy with that....

I will try on this one person to change the sentece structure from within the tag... then put the [iTAL:] inside the memo... and see if that helps get the memo field to appear in the IN report.

You are probably correct on the point that Pure Text won't do anything that the right click paste unformatted text will do, but worth a try and it is very handy if you want to copy some formatted text from the web and paste it as plain text in word or elsewhere. Perhaps the voice recognition program is introducing some characters that are not showing up. Have you tried keying in the obit into word and then doing a copy and paste? :ph34r:

OK... I just downloaded and tried the "Pure Text" and used that for the obit that would not show up.. and it still will not show up.

So as I suspected, it does not seem to do anymore than what happens when you right click in the memo field and choose "paste Unformatted text"

Next I went to the "offending" person, whos obits would not show up and modified the sentence within that particular Obituary tag to:

[:CR:][PG] <had|and [PO] had> an obituary< [D]>< [L]> [M]

and then put the [iTAL:] thingies inside the memo field and all worked fine

and the obit now shows up for that person.

What I do not understand is why it works fine without the need to do the above for the other eight out of ten people with obits that I worked on today?

The next problem is of course, going back through the thousands of obits I already have entered... and taking a "look see" which ones are not working... YIKES!

I had never seen any problem until today... but then was not really watching all that closely, expecially since the ones I had looked at worked, so I took for granted they all were working... sigh

Can someone explain why it isn't working ... all or nothing?

I am confused

Interesting, I don't have an answer, it would seem formatting in the sentence structure is supported. In the help topic Format Data > Format Data,Available Format, Font, and Other Codes it states: "All codes that are available while in a certain part of the program are on the right-click menu. Some codes are selected under the Format or Font sub-menu items. Different right-click menus appear in different places in the program depending upon which features are available. If you are not sure what is available, just right-click and check out the menu." The right click menu in Edit mode of Master Tag Type sentence includes the formatting codes. Have you run the normal maintenance routines? :ph34r: If you remove the local sentence, which should re-apply the default sentence does the problem with the missing narrative come back?

Edited by ggilbert1

In addition to exploring all the pulldown menus of MS Word and OpenOffice Writer to expose hidden formatting, the Find and Replace "advanced" options in each of these programs will sometimes find problems that the other may miss.

And then, once again, sometimes just running the text through Notepad will help.

I have been transcribing various obituaries using a voice recognition program which enters the text into a Word Document.

I have copied and pasted a particular obit for a person, and then created an individual Narrative to see how it looks.

The results are not always the same...

sometimes the memo field shows up on the report, sometimes it does not.

I am trying very hard to figure out what can be a "variable" that would cause this.

I have all obits in the same word document, just a couple blank lines to separate each one.

I am always using the same tag, one which I created called "obituary" (unique heh?)

with a sentence structure:

[:CR:][PG] <had|and [PO] had> an obituary< [D]>< [L]> <[:CR:][:TAB:][iTAL:] [M][:ITAL]>

which I have not modified from within any of the tags, only from the Master Tag List.

I am simply doing a copy and paste into the Memo field.

and getting the hit and miss on the report results.

I have not modifed the report definition, I have kept that constant...

I can create an IN report for one person, examine it, close it, open that same report for another person.. and never know who will have the memo show and who will not.

I have thought maybe somehow some formating was following in the copy and paste, so I right clicked in the memo field and chose "show formatting" and nothing showed up.

I can delete all in the memo and then just hand type "this is a test" and that always will appear, so somehow something is happening during the copy and paste, and it is not "always" happening.

Of the ten I just transcribed, copied, pasted and created IN reports on only two are not inserting the memo field when the report shows up on screen.

I even saw where I could right click on an empty memo field and choose "Paste unformatted text" and tried that with the paragraph that will not insert, and it still will not insert.

there are no { }'s anywhere in the obit.

I just can not see anything obviously different in the two "problem" obits in comparison to the other eight.

I have even taken the "problem obit" and emailed it to myself as a plain text email

then copied and pasted it, still that one obit does not show up in the IN report...

I am about to pull out my hair! :wacko:

Anyone have any suggestions?

I was researching how to handle transcribed obituaries, and stumbled across your old thread here. I have a couple questions:

* Am I to understand that every transcribed obit you have is in a single Word file?

* Do you put a copy of the transcribed obit into the memo field of the obituary tag?

* Did you finally eliminate all your problems that were referred to in this thread by moving the [iTAL:] into the memo field?