janelle

Wish List - list of people associated with place

Is there any way to produce a list of people associated with a particular place? Frequently I am trying to go through records for a particular locality, and can't remember all the surnames in my database associated with that locale. In the old LDS program you could do this. It would also be helpful when planning a genealogy trip to have a ready list of the people sorted by location.

Sure. :)

You would use the List of People report, naturally.

Set as the Subjects of the report a Filtered Group. Then create a filter to capture the place you want. For example:

Any Event... Any Place Field Contains [name of city, county, or state here]

You could make it specific to certain types of events, if you like. You could also use a specific place field instead of "Any Place Field."

Close the filter screen, and go Options then the Output Columns tab and set whatever you want to appear in the output columns.

Another option you might want to consider is to use the Master Place Index in Second Site. I have a shortcut in my browser to my SS database for quick lookups while surfing or researching. A click on a given place will show you all the names of individuaols associated with that place.

This also helped me clean up my MPL as mistakes I had made in place input were apparent in the place index listing.

What about the Master Place List within TMG? I have found it pretty useful!

Edited by laura1814