MMj

Bug in the Tag Entry Form?

I seem to have hit a rather nasty if somewhat obscure bug in the Tag entry form in TMG v 6.09. It happened to me in the Divorce Tag entry form, although I don't think it really matters which tag form it is, as long as it has date and sort date fields, and a place to enter citations.

I was in the process of editing a divorce tag that I had previously entered in my data set to fix some data that I had entered incorrectly. I currently use the untabbed versions of the tag entry forms.

I can replicate this error over and over.

1. I double click on the Divorce tag in the person's record on the person form.

2. When the Divorce Tag form comes up, it already has values that I had previously entered in it for the two principals, the date, the sort date and it also has one citation.

3. The problem that I had in my data that I needed to correct was that I had accidentally placed a date in both the date and sort date fields, when only the sort date should have had an entry.

4. In my case, both of those date fields contained "after 06/06/1978".

Now here's what I did to generate the error:

5. When the Tag entry form came up, the date field was already hi-lighted, just as it should be.

6. I pressed the "Del" key on the keyboard to delete the contents of the date field.

7. Instead of tabbing out of the field, I then double clicked on the single citation that I had entered, because I wanted to update its citation detail.

8. TMG then gave me the message asking if I wanted to update the sort field, just as I would have expected.

9. I clicked on the "No" button, and the program blew sky-high.

10. First it gave me the nasty fatal exception message that I have included with this message.

11. Then it terminated TMG and placed me back at my desktop.

12. I can replicate this failure over and over again. Interestingly enough, it seems to have something to do with the "after" part of the date field, because if I try to recreate the failure when there are just normal dates in the date fields, like "06/06/1978", instead of "after 06/06/1978", it works fine.

Has anyone else run across and reported this particular error?

post-6865-1155606485_thumb.jpg

Well, this morning I cannot reproduce the error that I was having last night, and I have no explanation for it. Last evening, over the course of about 2 hours, I replicated the same error message 5 times, the last couple of times after having optimized my data, rebuilt my indexes, checking file integrity and finally cold-booting the computer. No matter what I did, I could re-create the problem.

But this morning is a different story. I was trying to show my wife what I had encounterd, and could not re-create the problem. The application appears to be functioning perfectly.

The error messages last night were fairly exciting, as well as terminal. Any thoughts as to what might have been causing it to happen would be gratefully appreciated. I am running TMG 6.09 under Windows XP Media Center Edition. I am running on a desk model PC with an Athlon dual core processor, 2 gigs of RAM. and a 300 gig hard drive.

Was my application just having a bad-hair-nite?

I'm sorry if my previous message caused anyone any inconvenience in trying to replicate the error that I was receiving.

Well, this morning I cannot reproduce the error that I was having last night, and I have no explanation for it. Last evening, over the course of about 2 hours, I replicated the same error message 5 times, the last couple of times after having optimized my data, rebuilt my indexes, checking file integrity and finally cold-booting the computer. No matter what I did, I could re-create the problem.

But this morning is a different story. I was trying to show my wife what I had encounterd, and could not re-create the problem. The application appears to be functioning perfectly.

The error messages last night were fairly exciting, as well as terminal. Any thoughts as to what might have been causing it to happen would be gratefully appreciated. I am running TMG 6.09 under Windows XP Media Center Edition. I am running on a desk model PC with an Athlon dual core processor, 2 gigs of RAM. and a 300 gig hard drive.

Was my application just having a bad-hair-nite?

I'm sorry if my previous message caused anyone any inconvenience in trying to replicate the error that I was receiving.

Hi,

I had just started trying to replicate your issue with the sequence provided when you're second post dropped in. First thing is: good to hear it seemed to be gone. :)

In addition to that: could you please post the time-related messages in the following files:

1) C:\windows\system32\vfp7err.log and

2) Error.txt in your main TMG folder

(both to be opened / read with a texteditor only!!)

3) Did you make any system changes immediately before this started?

Install or remove some program?

What other programs are running at the same time TMG is running?

Hi Vera

I hadn't installed any new software for perhaps a week. I had been working pretty much in TMG all day with no problem. I usually have Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook 2003 also up and running in the background. Occasionally during the day I also opened a Word 2003 document for reference.

The following is the text from the vfp7err.log:

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2006.08.14 09:00:08 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log

Called from - tmgmain line 0 { c:\program files\the master genealogist\tmg.exe}

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2006.08.14 09:15:23 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log

Called from - tmgmain line 0 { c:\program files\the master genealogist\tmg.exe}

The following is the entire text from the error.txt file, although none of the messages appear to contain yesterday's date:

06.07.10, 01:36:00 ok >C:\WINDOWS\system32\bbFolderTree.ocx was registered

06.07.10, 01:36:01 ok >C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx was registered

2006.07.12, 00:11:14 24Alias name is already in use. 0 FRMACCENTDEFINITION.CNTACCENTCONDITION1.MCREATEFIELDDEFINITION

2006.07.22, 20:42:30 202Invalid path or file name. 0 ATTR.PGFPROP.PAGE1.CMDLOAD.CLICK

2006.08.09, 08:24:44 24Alias name is already in use. 0 FRMACCENTDEFINITION.CNTACCENTCONDITION1.MCREATEFIELDDEFINITION

2006.08.09, 08:26:20 24Alias name is already in use. 0 FRMACCENTDEFINITION.CNTACCENTCONDITION1.MCREATEFIELDDEFINITION

2006.08.09, 08:26:33 24Alias name is already in use. 0 FRMACCENTDEFINITION.CNTACCENTCONDITION1.MCREATEFIELDDEFINITION

2006.08.12, 12:51:39 5Record is out of range. 0 FRMVIEWRLTMG.MSAVE

2006.08.12, 12:51:46 5Record is out of range. 0 FRMVIEWRLTMG.MSAVE

2006.08.12, 12:52:00 5Record is out of range. 0 FRMVIEWRLTMG.MSAVE

2006.08.12, 12:54:33 5Record is out of range. 0 FRMVIEWRLTMG.MSAVE

2006.08.12, 19:40:39 5Record is out of range. 0 FRMADDPERSON.CNTSOURCES1.LSTSOURCES.DBLCLICK

The only other thing that comes to mind is that I was running a work-related application for a while yesterday afternoon that runs under Visual FoxPro 6. I don't run this work app every day, but have used it numrous times during the past month (that I have had TMG) with no problems. I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but I doubt if I have ever had both it and TMG running at the same time. I had to use the work app related again just this morning and then went back in to TMG after I finished working, but everything still appears to be working normally.

Thanks

C0000005 errors happen outside the TMG code and generally appear to be a memory/timing issue between Visual FoxPro and the operating system. They can be fixed if they can be replicated but are usually very difficult to replicate (as you have discovered). The error is trapped in the vfp7err.log as you have shown and the program error.txt content is not relevant.