Ken Grolle

GEDCOM name TITL field for TMG import

Hello All,

I am working on a program to create a GEDCOM file. I will use it to mainly import to data specifically to TMG. If I use the GEDCOM "TITL" tag, when I import to TMG it gets assigned to a 2nd name-var tag and not to the primary name. (I am only exporting one name per indivual.)

I have not tried to put the title into the individual (@IXX@ ) line, as I suspect then it will be taken as part of the name and not a title. (I will experiment with this.)

Is there a way to add a title to the primary name of an individual using GEDCOM :blink:

Thanks,

Ken A. Grolle

n NAME

+1 NPFX

+1 GIVN

+1 NICK

+1 SPFX

+1 SURN

+1 NSFX

+1 >

I believe that the NPFX data will be imported to the Title field of this Name-Var.

1 NAME Dr. John /Smith/ Jr.

2 NPFX Dr.

2 GIVN John

2 SURN Smith

2 NSFX Jr.

Need to test but don't have time at the moment.

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the information. I have not been able to get NPFX to work either. Here are some tests I ran. I am using TMG 6.09.

Test 1:

0 @I19@ INDI

1 NAME Rev. Abraham Railing /Brandyberry/

2 TITL Rev.

Result:

TMG popup error on import: “Variable PER1SHOW is not found. 0 TAGTITL”

Buttons on the popup are “Abort”, “Retry” and “Ignore”

If I click “abort”, bad news. TMG import window grays out, and the sample project is automatically loaded. The only way to close TMG that I found after this is with <CTL>-<ALT>-<DEL>.

If I click ignore, the import continues, but the TITL tags are not imported. (and not listed in TMG import report)

If I click retry, the popup window disappears and reappears.

After import given name is “Rev. Abraham Railing”. No title (empty).

If I take “Rev.” out of the NAME tag, behavior is the same (except given name drops “Rev.”)

Test 2:

0 @I24@ INDI

1 NAME Rev. Simeon W. /Brandyberry/

2 NPFX Rev.

Result:

No TMG errors on import. Import report has no problems indicated.

After import given name is “Rev. Simeon W.”. No title (empty).

Test 3:

0 @I19@ INDI

1 NAME Abraham Railing /Brandyberry/

1 TITL Rev.

Result:

After import given name is “Abraham Railing”. No title (empty).

A second name-var containing only the title “Rev.”

Test 4:

0 @I19@ INDI

1 NAME Rev. Abraham Railing /Brandyberry/

1 NPFX Rev.

or

0 @I19@ INDI

1 NPFX Rev.

Result:

Person has “GEDCOM” tag in TMG with memo field set to “Unknown GEDCOM tag: NPFX Rev.”

So far my best result is using #3 and living with a seperate name-var tag containing only the title. It would be nice if I could get the title into the primary name. The odd thing is that in the expanded picklist, the title field shows up on the primary name, even though it is only in a seperate name-var tag.

I have attached my small GED test file in case anyone has any other ideas. (rename extension to GED)

Best Regards,

Ken A. Grole

Brandyberry.txt

This is off the top of my head and so it's probably wrong. My recollection is that the importing program is supposed to use the data from the NAME tag or the data from the subtags of the NAME tag, but not combine the two. The subtags were added to the spec at some point to help the importing program distinquish between name subfields. To make the GEDCOM file backwards-compatible, the exporting program can (should?) should write the NAME tag with the complete name, and optionally add a full set of the subtags as an alternative for importing programs that prefer it that way.

So, the following is valid:

0 @I19@ INDI

1 NAME Rev. John/Smith/

2 NPFX Rev.

2 GIVN John

2 SURN Smith

The following is also valid, but given my recollection of the spec, it's illogical:

0 @I19@ INDI

1 NAME Rev. John/Smith/

2 NPFX Rev.

It's illogical because the set of subtags doesn't define the same name contents as the NAME tag. If the importing program followed the rules, the name would not have a given name or surname.

Jim has forgotten more about GEDCOM than I know, so I yield to his opinion. Plus, I didn't have time to read the spec and confirm the above. I mention it because I think it's valid for TMG to interpret the NAME tag and ignore the subtags, or vice-versa. I don't know how an importing program that accepts either a NAME tag with data or a NAME tag with subtags would inteeligently merge the two. Some cases are easy, but the general case is difficult.

Ken,

I did a quick test and John is correct as to how TMG works. If you want to use the NPFX, you must use the advanced wizard option and choose the option to read the structured name tags INSTEAD of the free form test. It's an either or, not both. You must have the other fields or else all you will get is an entry with just Rev. in one of the name fields.

So, the following is valid:

0 @I19@ INDI

1 NAME Rev. John/Smith/

2 NPFX Rev.

2 GIVN John

2 SURN Smith

The following is also valid, but given my recollection of the spec, it's illogical:

0 @I19@ INDI

1 NAME Rev. John/Smith/

2 NPFX Rev.

It's illogical because the set of subtags doesn't define the same name contents as the NAME tag. If the importing program followed the rules, the name would not have a given name or surname.

... I mention it because I think it's valid for TMG to interpret the NAME tag and ignore the subtags, or vice-versa. I

It also makes sense that when you use the TITL tag is shows up as another tag rather than part of the name. TITL is one of the individual attribute structures along with tags such as CAST, OCCU, SSN, etc. and intended as a nobility type title according to the standard.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, John, and Jim,

With your help it is now wroking. I create the following GEDCOM tags.

0 @I27@ INDI

2 NPFX Rev.

2 GIVN Abraham Railing

2 SURN Brandyberry

Then I use the TMG advanced import and select the NPFX/GIVN/SURN option. The result is just one name with all the correct parts. I don't use the TITL tag anymore.

Best Reagrds,

Ken A. Grolle