TDH

Tag Entry Screen Error

What a surprise today! When i decide to enter data in a new tag, the Exhibit Log Window opens automatically!

It happens when i press any key in the date or place fields of the Tag Entry Screen. I cannot enter any data in these fields... All data are available but i cannot enter new ones.

Anyone has an idea for a solution?

I have the last version 6.09 of TMG. I use windowsXP as OS (completely updated).

What a surprise today! When i decide to enter data in a new tag, the Exhibit Log Window opens automatically!

It happens when i press any key in the date or place fields of the Tag Entry Screen. I cannot enter any data in these fields... All data are available but i cannot enter new ones.

I have the last version 6.09 of TMG. I use windowsXP as OS (completely updated).

Does the same thing happen in the Sample project?

I have no idea why the Exhibit Log window would open automatically. Is this all tags or a particular type tag?

If you can't enter data anywhere at all (memo, citation, Add Person, etc.) it sounds like an expired trial version of TMG - which becomes read-only after 30 days. If not that, you might try running the maintenance routines on the File menu, as well as rebooting your computer.

Have you added any new software or run an anti-virus or anti-spyware program since you last entered data into TMG successfully?

Virginia

Does the same thing happen in the Sample project?

I have no idea why the Exhibit Log window would open automatically. Is this all tags or a particular type tag?

If you can't enter data anywhere at all (memo, citation, Add Person, etc.) it sounds like an expired trial version of TMG - which becomes read-only after 30 days. If not that, you might try running the maintenance routines on the File menu, as well as rebooting your computer.

Have you added any new software or run an anti-virus or anti-spyware program since you last entered data into TMG successfully?

Virginia

All tags are affected, for any project opened... but i can enter data as usual in the memo, and add a citation or some witnesses to that tag. I can also add person as usual and create any report i want, all data are available for reading.

the troubles begin only when i press any key when in the date, sort date or place fields. I cannot modify an already filled field nor add new data in these fields: the exhibit log window opens immediately, even with the 'esc' or tab key...

the function keys run as usual: F1, F2, F3, etc, then i could add new data in the place fields with F2 or F3 but not press a character key...

TMG is the gold edition well registered! The maintenance routines ran perfectly but without any change.

No new software added

All tags are affected, for any project opened... but i can enter data as usual in the memo, and add a citation or some witnesses to that tag. I can also add person as usual and create any report i want, all data are available for reading.

the troubles begin only when i press any key when in the date, sort date or place fields. I cannot modify an already filled field nor add new data in these fields: the exhibit log window opens immediately, even with the 'esc' or tab key...

the function keys run as usual: F1, F2, F3, etc, then i could add new data in the place fields with F2 or F3 but not press a character key...

TMG is the gold edition well registered! The maintenance routines ran perfectly but without any change.

No new software added

In Preferences > Program Options > Data Entry, try switching whatever tag entry screen you are using (tabbed or untabbed).

If that makes no difference, in the same Preferences screen, you might also experiment with Place labels (try 'Enabled' or ' Available only with mouse').

Does Ctrl-F12 (the Exhibit Log shortcut) open the Exhibit Log correctly in those fields?

I assume you haven't noticed a possible keyboard problem in any other program?

It might be interesting to see what the MS onscreen keyboard does in this case. That is at Start > Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Onscreen keyboard.

Virginia

In Preferences > Program Options > Data Entry, try switching whatever tag entry screen you are using (tabbed or untabbed).

If that makes no difference, in the same Preferences screen, you might also experiment with Place labels (try 'Enabled' or ' Available only with mouse').

Does Ctrl-F12 (the Exhibit Log shortcut) open the Exhibit Log correctly in those fields?

I assume you haven't noticed a possible keyboard problem in any other program?

It might be interesting to see what the MS onscreen keyboard does in this case. That is at Start > Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Onscreen keyboard.

Virginia

I tested your good ideas: tabbed or untabbed, Enabled or 'Available only with mouse', but no interesting results! The Ctrl-F12 key opens the Exhibit Log as any other key...

No other program has this kind of problem: i tested the openoffice word processor or spreadsheet and other database programs.

Fun tests with the MS onscreen keyboard (which i didn't know!) but it ran as with my own keyboard: the exhibit log window always opens when in the Tag Entry Screen...

I also tested The Name_Var Tag which ran normaly and the History Tag which also brought trouble to the date and place fields...

I tested your good ideas: tabbed or untabbed, Enabled or 'Available only with mouse', but no interesting results! The Ctrl-F12 key opens the Exhibit Log as any other key...

No other program has this kind of problem: i tested the openoffice word processor or spreadsheet and other database programs.

Fun tests with the MS onscreen keyboard (which i didn't know!) but it ran as with my own keyboard: the exhibit log window always opens when in the Tag Entry Screen...

I also tested The Name_Var Tag which ran normaly and the History Tag which also brought trouble to the date and place fields...

You've covered all the troubleshooting ideas I can think of. I'm not positive, but I think the onscreen keyboard clears your physical keyboard of complicity. It is very interesting that the Name_Var Tag runs normally and the History Tag, along with the others, does not.

At this point, I suggest you email tech support (go to www.whollygenes.com and click on the 'Need help?' icon in the upper right). In your email message, refer them to this message thread, which is:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ic=6216&hl=

Sorry not to have been of more help. It's an unusual problem in my experience - and I'll look forward to learning the resolution.

Virginia

Don't have any good ideas at this point.

How are you navigating to the date and place fields... mouse or keyboard.

Where is the mouse cursor located when you type a character?

I am navigating by mouse.

The mouse can be anywhere, it's annoying i tell you that much for free! I can't do anything.

Have tried to enable the onscreen keyboard, but it doesn't show me anything unusual.

Cheers,

Sean.

Hi, Sean,

could you please do me a favor and compare your "Exhibit Log" screen to the following.

What I did to provide the attached screenshot is:

I used one of my pure test projects.

Opened Tag Entry screen for any event assigned to a person in this project.

Used the mouse to place the cursor in any place field.

Pressed Ctrl+F12 (to open Exhibit log screen) - this step should be obsolete for you because as you said for you Exhibit log screen always opens automatically when you try to enter or change any data in those fields, right?

How does your "by incident automated exhibit log screen" :wacko: look like? May be you could provide a screenshot attached to your next message.

Is the headline of that screen similar to mine - say referring to a certain event number?

In the upper left part of that screen: Does "Focus" tell you "An Event" and Type "All Types"?

On the right side: Does "ID" indicate the Dataset Number followed by an event number?

As long as no exhibits had been attached to this event before the "section" right above the buttons on the lower right should be empty.

sample_exhib_log.JPG

And another thing to test, sorry:

- please open a Tag Entry screen

- and then just use the mouse to click on the Exhibit log icon in the upper right of that screen - please do nothing more -

- and now compare that Exhibit log screen

1) to the screenshot I provided and

2) to an automatically opened Exhibit log screen which you get

is there any difference?

tmg_shot.jpg

See the attached - I can't see any difference to when I actually click on the exhibit log icon.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled and updated to the latest version.

Thanks again,

Sean.

This is a real shot in the dark, but try a different layout, like this:

Use the Sample project.

View > Toolbars > Small buttons

Window > Project Explorer > Flags

Window > Project Explorer > Image

Window > Arrange All

Save layout with a new name.

Close TMG and reopen.

Virginia

See the attached - I can't see any difference to when I actually click on the exhibit log icon.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled and updated to the latest version.

Thanks again,

Sean.

Hi, Sean,

thanks for those additional information.

So regarding your "test" project you try to add a tag (here: Descriptn) and immediately the "Exhibit log" window pops up, right?

Could you please make a backup of the small "Test" project you created (as shown in the provided screenshot) and sent it to me?

Please also sent me a copy of your "app.ini" file which is in the main folder where TMG is installed.

For my email-address please click here!

Hi -

I really appreciate you all taking time trying to help me.

Virginia - I tried your suggestion, but there is no change.

To clarify, I open the tag entry - place my cursor in either the date or place fields and press any key numeric or alpha and then it opens the exhibit log.

If i place the cursor in the Memo field it works fine!!

Vera - I will send you the files.

Thanks again,

Sean.

Sean -

What brand and type (wireless/optical?) keyboard and mouse do you have?

Virginia

I may be mislead but I don't think this is an hardware issue.

Just my two cents. :wub:

I see that this behavior is happening on any project you open, therefore I suggest you do a clean install of TMG.

CLEAN INSTALL DIRECTIONS:

Have the Serial Number for The Master Genealogist email available.

Backup All (project & customizations)

Copy and Paste your Project and Pics folders to a safe place (Desktop or other folder).

Use Windows Add/Remove programs to remove The Master Genealogist (for all users)

Delete the remaining The Master Genealogist folder from the Program Files folder

Turn off and restart your computer.

Disable all virus software before reinstalling.

For TMG 6, use your CD or go to www.whollygenes.com and download the 30-Day Trial version. Unlock it for the full version. The 30-Day Trial version is always the latest setup file.

Install TMG and update if necessary.

Return the data folders and Restore customizations from your backup.

Barbara

(No longer in Tech Support)

They are both wired Virginia.

Please don't spend any more time on this, I'm swapping genie programs.

I always don't know how to face up to this problem...

Maybe, the trouble began just after an automatic Microsoft update of my Xp Pro... Since that moment, some other updates occurred from Microsoft and TMG, but nothing changed...

I have tested my TMG installation with recent Microsoft Updates done just before this trouble occured but nothing found... :(

I have tested my TMG installation with recent Microsoft Updates done just before this trouble occured but nothing found... :(

Have you already directly contacted Wholly Genes Support at support@whollygenes.com regarding this?

If not I would kindly suggest to do so.