Sharon Meeker

List of Sources

Can someone tell me if there is a way to print a list of all my sources (or some subset thereof) that shows ALL of the information from each source. I have a lot of corrections to make and it would be handy to take a detailed list to the library to check missing info (publication date, volume number or whatever). I would especially like to be able to print the abbreviation (which I have used for my own file number system) and the full source information on one list. Any ideas?

Can someone tell me if there is a way to print a list of all my sources (or some subset thereof) that shows ALL of the information from each source. I have a lot of corrections to make and it would be handy to take a detailed list to the library to check missing info (publication date, volume number or whatever). I would especially like to be able to print the abbreviation (which I have used for my own file number system) and the full source information on one list. Any ideas?

Hi, Sharon,

may be I am wrong but I personally don't think that this is possible "out of the box" in one single report only.

But you might try to use the "List of Sources" report and see whether this suits your needs.

On the Report Definition screen say "All Sources".

First report:

Under "Options..." on the "General" tab for "List type" say Abbreviations plus Show data set ID (just in case you have more than one)

on the "Sort by" tab say: Source ID #

Then make the report.

Second report:

Under "Options..." on the "General" tab for "List type" say Bibliographic form plus Show data set ID (just in case you have more than one)

Then again make the report.

If you print both of them to File and then edit those files according to your intention this may be quite near to what you want.

Sharon,

I don't know how to get teh report you want, but since you are online, I suggest that you go to your library's website, and use their online card catalog to fill out your sources. Most library's have their card catalogs online now and you can get all the information you need for creating a source element.

Hi, Sharon,

may be I am wrong but I personally don't think that this is possible "out of the box" in one single report only.

But you might try to use the "List of Sources" report and see whether this suits your needs.

On the Report Definition screen say "All Sources".

First report:

Under "Options..." on the "General" tab for "List type" say Abbreviations plus Show data set ID (just in case you have more than one)

Then make the report.

Second report:

Under "Options..." on the "General" tab for "List type" say Bibliographic form plus Show data set ID (just in case you have more than one)

Then again make the report.

If you print both of them to File and then edit those files according to your intention this may be quite near to what you want.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried the List of Sources reports and neither flavor offers what I want. I did not think of exporting them to a file and maybe combining them. I'll look into that.

My favorite library does have its catalog on-line, but sometimes not all the elements I need are listed in full. I also need more source info from some places that do not have on-line catalogs. However, that suggestion did give me the idea of using both my computers to accomplish some of this. I can set TMG up on one and the on-line catalog on the other. Better than trying to flip and manage windows.

I have never used this posting method before and I hope I am doing this OK. I read the forum frequently and find lots of helpful people offering lots of great ideas. Thanks again.

Thanks for your suggestions. ...

I have never used this posting method before and I hope I am doing this OK. ...

You're very welcome, Sharon. :)

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried the List of Sources reports and neither flavor offers what I want. I did not think of exporting them to a file and maybe combining them. I'll look into that.

My favorite library does have its catalog on-line, but sometimes not all the elements I need are listed in full. I also need more source info from some places that do not have on-line catalogs. However, that suggestion did give me the idea of using both my computers to accomplish some of this. I can set TMG up on one and the on-line catalog on the other. Better than trying to flip and manage windows.

I have never used this posting method before and I hope I am doing this OK. I read the forum frequently and find lots of helpful people offering lots of great ideas. Thanks again.

Hi, Sharon -I like to see the abbreviations and full footnote in one list/table also. I devised a method that works, using my word processor (WordPerfect) and Clipmate, but it may only be practical if you use it from the beginning - or take a small batch of sources at a time and process them, and then maintain the list on an ongoing basis as you add new sources.

1 - print to file (ASCII Delimited with Tab) the List of Sources > Abbreviations.

2 - open the file in your word processor, convert to a table and add another column.

3 - in TMG6, List of Sources, highlight and copy the full footnote preview (this is where Clipmate comes in handy; you can copy a bunch at once).

4 - paste each Source into the new column in the table - corresponding to the source number/abbreviation.

I've been doing this as I add each source, which makes it pretty easy to copy/paste and maintain a master list. To do several sources at one time you could print a report with footnotes and have that open in the word processor to copy the footnotes from, though you'd have to figure out which abbreviation went with which footnote. I include the source number last thing in the footnote, so don't have that problem.

Virginia

Thanks for this idea. I'll have to think about what might work best for me. I have about 600 sources and also wanted to check which ones I have "attached" to a repository. I guess I'll put this on the "wish list" for a future revision to TMG.

Another option you might consider is to use what is often called a "pseudo" person.

This is a person that is really just a dummy entry to be used for various purposes

with some kind of dummy name to make it clear it is not a "real" person.

You could create such a person, then enter one or more tags (e.g. Note) and

create one dummy citation to the tag for every one of your sources.

Multiple tags give you the opportunity to group your citations, and perhaps

add something meaningful to either the tag memo or the citation detail.

Now an Individual Narrative report for just this one pseudo person, with the

options set to print a Bibliography, will print all your sources. It is a bit of a

chore to set up to begin with, but might do what you want.

Hope this gives you an idea.

Sharon,

Take a look at the "Export Data" function in TMG Utility. It includes an option to export source data. It creates an XML file, but also includes an option to convert the XML into an HTML page. There is a short example you can review before you do anything else.

Sharon,

Take a look at the "Export Data" function in TMG Utility. It includes an option to export source data. It creates an XML file, but also includes an option to convert the XML into an HTML page. There is a short example you can review before you do anything else.

Wow!! I am constantly amazed and overwhelmed by the power of John's TMG Utility. This sounds like a much better method than my pseudo person. Also, I neglected to mention that if you do go down the road of creating pseudo people, you should create a flag (e.g. PSEUDO) with default of 'N' for normal people and other values for your various types of pseudo people, and add a filter using that flag for most reports.

When I was updating and correcting my sources I went to the Library of Congress and Allen County library websites and was able to find most of the sources I needed. Other large genealogical library websites would also be good places to look.