GenerationGoneBy

Making custom toolbar behave

[i put my custom toolbar on the left hand side, hoping it would stay where I put it.

Here's what the layout looks like:

post-101-1162918496_thumb.jpg

Then I saved the layout, closed TMG, and when I reopened it.

post-101-1162918597_thumb.jpg

Notice the fact that it is shorter and fatter and overlaps the focus group and PE window.

[so I saved that layout, closed TMG and when I reopend it:

post-101-1162918785_thumb.jpg

Notice the fact that it is shorter and fatter and overlaps even MORE of the focus group and PE window.

Every time I open and close TMG it reshapes itself to a different size box and it totally ignores what the layout manager says.

It's the bane of my TMG existance, Teresa. I really want the toolbar in the bottom right of the layout - where I don't have to mouse very far - but any floating toolbar must be reset each time you open the program. I've had the same problem occasionally (but to a much lesser degree!) in other programs - so it probably is MS. Maybe what we need is a fixed layout window for custom icons instead of a toolbar - and I'm guessing that's not do-able.

Virginia

Hi, Teresa,

like Virginia I am also occasionally having such an issue with other programs.

When I look very closely at the very first screenshot you provided - that one "how it should be".... - for me it looks like your "Custom toolbar" slightly overlaps the screens / at least the borders of those screens / to the right of it.

So may be it's worth trying.....

make your "Custom toolbar" a little smaller - perhaps even leave a little gap between it and the windows directly to its right - and see whether that helps.

Vera,

No, I have had that thing every size and shape and every position on the board and it still changes size. The weird thing is now it changes from what it is setting itself to. Before I would size it, then save the layout, close TMG, it would resize, I would change the other windows, and then save the layout and it would be fine. Since 6.12, it changes the size it wants to be each time TMG is opened.

Like Virginia, I prefer it in the right hand corner at the bottom, but it is constantly moving off screen so I have to move it back all the time. I tried a ring of back ground around it, but it still moves.

Lee said it was a MS thing, so unless someone has Bill's phone, I guess I will have to live with it.

Vera,

No, I have had that thing every size and shape and every position on the board and it still changes size. The weird thing is now it changes from what it is setting itself to. Before I would size it, then save the layout, close TMG, it would resize, I would change the other windows, and then save the layout and it would be fine. Since 6.12, it changes the size it wants to be each time TMG is opened.

Like Virginia, I prefer it in the right hand corner at the bottom, but it is constantly moving off screen so I have to move it back all the time. I tried a ring of back ground around it, but it still moves.

Lee said it was a MS thing, so unless someone has Bill's phone, I guess I will have to live with it.

It was just a suggestion, Teresa.

Sorry, it didn't help.

One interesting thing which I haven't discovered while using TMG so far ..... you say...... it's constantly moving off (TMG) screen??? :unsure:

WEll, I assume so, since it's moving off the computer screen to the right and my extra monitor, when it is on, is on the left of the laptop monitor. When I drad it over, there are always 2-3 buttons that were sitting off site.

There is a [CustomToolbar] item in the app.ini file it might be worth taking a look :bugeye: to see what is getting saved (or not) there. In my app.ini file it is way down at line 1592 of 1797 lines.

All the usual cautions apply when editing files in the TMG Program directory. :sweat::ninja:

I saved the layout with a new name, and it appears to have stopped floating. Hope it behaves for a while

I can get it to behave and also misbehave and it depends on the layout of the toolbar. If there are blanks on the toolbar then it behaves.post-1058-1163875647_thumb.jpg

If I make the toolbar slightly narrower so there are no blanks post-1058-1163875675_thumb.jpg then close it and reopen it then the left hand side remains where it is but the toolbar reverts back to the original width post-1058-1163875699_thumb.jpg

I saved the layout with a new name, and it appears to have stopped floating. Hope it behaves for a while

Theresa,

Can you post a shot of the layout that doesn't change.

I can get it to behave and also misbehave and it depends on the layout of the toolbar. If there are blanks on the toolbar then it behaves.layout1.jpg

If I make the toolbar slightly narrower so there are no blanks layout2.jpg then close it and reopen it then the left hand side remains where it is but the toolbar reverts back to the original width layout3.jpg

See this sample layout with blanks on the toolbar threeX.gif - and moved fourX.gif. The toolbar goes from 4 rows to 3 rows and moves up and right off the screen. Same thing either windowed or full screen.

Virginia

Jeff,

It worked for a while, but now it is moving on me again. Like Virginia, it doesn't matter if I have extra blanks or not it still moves. Even it if I let it size itself, the next time I open TMG, it is a different size. Mine moves up and over about a 1/4" each time TMG is opened.