DJY

confusion w/ source list in reports

I'm in the process of printing out sections of my data to send to a relative. It has always confused me as to why family group reports (or any report I have tried) include the superscript numbers in the tags to indicate a source, but the source list (bibliography/endnote/footnote etc.) does not print out at the bottom of the page or at end of the report. I have all of these wonderful cross-references but have absolutely no idea to what they refer, unless I run a separate endnote/footnote report. I can see where this is advantageous if I'm running several family group sheets & then want to run a single reference list. However, I do not like this. I think it gets too busy when there are hundreds of citations and the reference numbers get very large; it also means that the receiver has to keep the whole set together to be able to decode the references and cannot easily pick & choose what he wants. If he throws out some people of little interest to him, he's still stuck with the huge list of sources, many of which may no longer be relevant. I want each family group sheet to be self-contained, with its own internal list of sources and with superscript crossreferences in the tags and the corresponding sources at the end of the report. How do I do this?

It has always confused me as to why family group reports (or any report I have tried) include the superscript numbers in the tags to indicate a source, but the source list (bibliography/endnote/footnote etc.) does not print out at the bottom of the page or at end of the report.

When you "print" a report to screen or to the printer, the endnotes are accumulated. You then print them with the Endnote report. You can accumulate the notes for several reports and print the endnotes in one group, or you can print them off for each report if you prefer.

The message you get that says "Endnote are accumulated. Would you like to Delete them..." is offering you the opportunity to accumulate notes for several reports or delete those previously accumulated and start fresh.

If you want a source list for each Family Group Sheet, or other report, run the Endnotes report after each Family Group Sheet, and then delete the accumulated endnotes as you run the next Family Group Sheet.

Or... send the report to a word processor file. When you do that, the source notes appear within the report as footnotes or endnotes as you specify. You can then print from the word processor. As an added feature, you can make any edits you like in the word processor before you print.

Print the family group sheet, then print the footnote report. That's the way it works.

At one time I seem to recall that printing a Family Group Sheet automatically included the endnotes. It has been soooooo frustrating trying to get them to print. So un-user friendly. I have really had it with this program.

At one time I seem to recall that printing a Family Group Sheet automatically included the endnotes. It has been soooooo frustrating trying to get them to print. So un-user friendly. I have really had it with this program.

While I understand your frustration (I have felt it myself with issues here from time to time), perhaps you should recognize the flexibility available that actually seems to be causing your issue. Granted, what would be nice is some type of checkbox to tie the endnotes to a report so one doesn't have to think so much, but the fact is that just by running an FGS report, then the endnotes report for that FGS report, you get the same thing. In addition, those other people who are trying to create their book with multiple reports and continuous endnotes also get what they need.

Perhaps for what you are doing with your data, you don't need a Ferrari; maybe a Cooper Mini will do. If so,there's no need to bad-mouth the Ferrari. Both have their place.

While I understand your frustration (I have felt it myself with issues here from time to time), perhaps you should recognize the flexibility available that actually seems to be causing your issue. Granted, what would be nice is some type of checkbox to tie the endnotes to a report so one doesn't have to think so much, but the fact is that just by running an FGS report, then the endnotes report for that FGS report, you get the same thing. In addition, those other people who are trying to create their book with multiple reports and continuous endnotes also get what they need.

Perhaps for what you are doing with your data, you don't need a Ferrari; maybe a Cooper Mini will do. If so,there's no need to bad-mouth the Ferrari. Both have their place.

One way to run the 2 reports automatically one after the other would be to use the Book Manager. This give yoiu the ability to set a series of reports to be runin a set order.

I use this mainly to set flags where a set of reports e.g cenus flags where new people have been added.