Squint1

TMG v6 to v7 restore problem

When I tried to restore my TMG v6 file into the default TMG v7 locations, I receive an error message stating: "Invalid path for exhibits "C:\Documents and Settings\Squint1\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits". You are trying to restore data to a folder in space reserved for a different USER on this system. Please select a folder in another location." I can write to the TMGv7 folders using other programs. I have also tried saving to other locations, but continue to receive that error. Any recommendations?

Edited by Squint1

It expected it to be in Squint1. Were you still logged on as the administrator?

No - I was still signed in as Squint1 (with administrator privileges), which is the same account that I installed the program in. I've since uninstalled the program and reinstalled it, but continue to get the same error. I was installing other programs on that day, and I'm wondering if one of them might have made changes that affected my folders and/or privileges.

I want to close the loop on this thread just in case someone else encounters a similar problem. I found a solution, but it wasn't easy. I had to create a new user account with administrator's privileges and then install the trial version of TMG 7 in that account. Using that program, I was able to restore my TMGv6 backup file into TMGv7. I then saved the file in v7 as I exited the program. I then logged off the new account I had created and switched to my original account, where I copied all the files and folders from the My Documents/TMGv7 folder in the new account to my original account. When I opened TMGv7 on my original account and accessed the file, it at first balked and again indicated that I didn’t have USER privileges for that folder, but I cancelled out of the message and the file opened without any apparent problems. I’ve since been working on the file and saved it, without any new problems cropping up. I still have to check the integrity of the data, and will post any more problems in this forum.

I must say that I am a little disappointed in the lack of support from Wholly Genes on this issue, as I had to pretty much figure it out on my own. I realize it is a holiday week, but with the new version having just recently been released, I would have expected a little more interest in ensuring that the bugs get worked out. My advice to anyone else who is considering upgrading, is to download the demo version and make sure it works before ordering the full product – the demo version will work for 30 days and can be unlocked with a serial number that you will receive when you buy the full product.

Edited by Squint1

I want to close the loop on this thread just in case someone else encounters a similar problem. I found a solution, but it wasn't easy. I had to create a new user account with administrator's privileges and then install the trail version of TMG 7 in that account. Using that program, I was able to restore my TMGv6 backup file into TMGv7. I then saved the file in v7 as I exited the program. I then logged off the new account I had created and switched to my original account, where I copied all the files and folders from the My Documents/TMGv7 folder in the new account to my original account. When I opened TMGv7 on my original account and accessed the file, it at first balked and again indicated that I didn’t have USER privileges for that folder, but I cancelled out of the message and the file opened without any apparent problems. I’ve since been working on the file and saved it, without any new problems cropping up. I still have to check the integrity of the data, and will post any more problems in this forum.

I must say that I am a little disappointed in the lack of support from Wholly Genes on this issue, as I had to pretty much figure it out on my own. I realize it is a holiday week, but with the new version having just recently been released, I would have expected a little more interest in ensuring that the bugs get worked out. My advice to anyone else who is considering upgrading, is to download the demo version and make sure it works before ordering the full product – the demo version will work for 30 days and can be unlocked with a serial number that you will receive when you buy the full product.

I think you will find the issue is actually with Microsoft as opposed to Whollygenes. It would also be interesting to note which version of windows you are running. If you have moved onto Vista you will find that the securty has been stepped up some what. Did you check the security settings assigned to you 'My Documents' Folder. Right click on th folder in question and select properties. Under the security tab you can see the level of access allowed to the directory.

I have multiple accounts, some with Administrative privileges and some without. What works reliably for me is to only install the program (for all users in a shared program area) using an account with Administrative privileges. I then logout and login to my normal unprivileged user account and restore the V6 project while in that account. All seems to work fine doing it that way.

I agree the problem is more likely a result of Windows rather than the TMG software. However, I am using an administrator account in Windows XP Pro and have never had any issues installing any other program, nor have I previously had any issues with regard to folder security settings - that is until I tried to restore the TMG v6 file into TMG v7.

I agree the problem is more likely a result of Windows rather than the TMG software. However, I am using an administrator account in Windows XP Pro and have never had any issues installing any other program, nor have I previously had any issues with regard to folder security settings - that is until I tried to restore the TMG v6 file into TMG v7.

I'm having the same problem. I've come back to tmg after 2 yrs away. Installed v7 and tried to restore project stored under tmg6. The file from which the project is to be restored is in a shared folder. I'm trying to restore the project to the same folder. Keep getting that damned message. So TMG is worthless to me right now.

I doubt very much that this is a windows problem (I'm using xp pro) because I have never had a problem like this before. There is only one user on my system (me) and I have administrator priviledges. I even made sure the security permissions on the folder in question allow anyone to do anything. Clearly this is a bug in TMG.

Ken

The default folder in TMG6 for projects is under the folder in which TMG6 is installed. By default that's in "program space," and is an "illegal" location in Windows Vista. TMG7 enforces the Vista rule, even if you are using WindowXP.

So if you have used the default locations in TMG6, you cannot place your TMG7 projects in the same location as your TMG6 projects. That's the whole point of the backup and restore method of moving your data to TMG7 -- to move your data files to "legal" locations. While TMG7 allows you considerable flexibility in locating your data files, it does not allow you to put them in "program space," as the error message says.

Terry -

you wrote:

" The default folder in TMG6 for projects is under the folder in which TMG6 is installed. By default that's in "program space," and is an "illegal" location in Windows Vista. TMG7 enforces the Vista rule, even if you are using WindowXP.

So if you have used the default locations in TMG6, you cannot place your TMG7 projects in the same location as your TMG6 projects. That's the whole point of the backup and restore method of moving your data to TMG7 -- to move your data files to "legal" locations. While TMG7 allows you considerable flexibility in locating your data files, it does not allow you to put them in "program space," as the error message says."

My response -

Close but no cigar. I do not have my files stored with the programs or a default location, but in a folder under My Documents so I can routinely back them up. I am running Windows XP SP2. I am a user on my system with full Admin rights.

I have set up a new folder in My Documents for TMG 7.0 and am trying to restore to that folder. The source backup file is in another folder under My Documents. When I try to restore, I get the same message as the others here. I have never encountered this issue before with any other application, the data for which all get stored in My Documents.

And why should a program care one whit about where I - the user - put my data?

It isn't the program that cares, it's MS Win Vista! In order to enable TMG v7/7.01 to work with Vista, it has to comply with the 'new' MS security process that disallows data to be stored in the same folder as the program. This is the same procedure as many of us have practised for years....I not only have my data in a different folder, it's on an entirely different drive/partition allowing me to only backup data partitions on a daily basis while backing up programs every couple of months.

Hope this helps

B)

Joan

I have set up a new folder in My Documents for TMG 7.0 and am trying to restore to that folder. The source backup file is in another folder under My Documents. When I try to restore, I get the same message as the others here. I have never encountered this issue before with any other application, the data for which all get stored in My Documents.

Just to note that the default folder tree for user data is set up by the program under My Documents. The first time that you run the program, that folder tree is created. You might take a look at it.

You can store your projects anywhere you wish in legal user space. Read the Data File Storage topic in help, the topic linked at the bottom of that topic and the two advanced topics linked by the second.