eegriff

GEDCOM Export to Rootsweb

When I export my TMG6 file as GEDCOM 5.5 and then upload it to Rootsweb, the final marriage order is incorrect. In one particular case, a man was married three times and each of the three marriages has a date. However, the final order on Rootsweb is not in date order, and one of the marriage dates is missing. The final order is not by ID number either, nor have I changed the default sentence structure. This is not so important to me personally, since I can see the correct data in TMG. However, when I publish my work, as to Rootsweb, I do not want to offend people who see a relative with incorrect marriage information. I didn't see an option to explicity declare a "marriage order" and assumed that the date field would be sufficient to decide who is Spouse 1, 2 and 3. What am I missing?

You aren't missing anything.

According to the GEDCOM specs, it's the responsiblity of the receiving software to correctly sequence tags by date if that's desired. Apparently WorldConnect doesn't do that.

Follow-up

Terry, I examined the GEDCOM listing for the example I cited earlier of a man who was married three times. There are three FAMS listings for him and each correctly identifies one of the three WIFEs. However, one of them does not include a MARR/DATE GEDCOM entry as expected. (This explains why World Connect parsed it the way they did.) I looked at that person's data again and see no reason why the MARR/DATE GEDCOM tags are not present in the export. There are clearly three "Marriage" tags, with dates. Can you suggest what might be happening or what setting I might have inadvertantly placed in the file or the export to cause this? :huh:

I don't even know if the GEDCOM export honors surety levels, but if it does, I'd check that: compare the surety level for the export to the surety level of the marriage date that wasn't exported.

Also, is the marriage primary and for both principals? You somethies get strange effects if a marriage is primary for one principal and not for the other. The primary setting needs to be the same for both principals.