CBNY

Program Error message

I've just upgraded to 7.1 (or is it 7.01?) from a "working perfectly" installation of v7 and I'm getting the following Program Error: Variable 'GOTERM' is not found. If I click "Ingore" then I get something SLIGHTLY different: Object GOTERM is not found. I get this error twice, and after choosing the second Ignore, the program launches OK, EXCEPT, I don't get the choice to Open the Last Project, which is grayed out.

Suggestions for either the error messages or the grayed out Open Last Project would be welcome.

Windows XP, running in Parallels on a Mac.

Thanks!

I have the same problems with the same setup; 7.01 running under Parallels on an iMac. I have never been able to get TMG to remeber the last database used in this setup. The goterm message is supposed to be for an 'early version' of 7.01 but I got it after d/l a 'real' version.

I am about to try a reinstall but am away for two days.

Michael

www.galton.id.au

What were you trying to do when you got the error?

On TMG-L Mailing list I saw the same thing mentioned and Edward tells Nathan to Reinstall the application due to an early download of 7.01

see:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/r...8-05/1210076715

Edward

Downloaded again and then reinstalled TMG now works

Thank you

Nathan

--- "Edward A. Feustel" <efeustel@hughes.net> wrote:

> Nathan,

> When I got an earlier version of Ver v.01, Bob Velke got me to delete

> the old

> version and download again and reinstall. That cured the problem.

> I had the error on some "marriage" tags that I had converted from UFT.

> Ed

On the TMG-L Archives

Subject: Re: [TMG] Variable 'GOTERM" is not found

Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 15:30:15 -0800 (PST)

Had the same issue again with:

----------------------------------

Program Error

Variable 'GOTERM' is not found.

Cancel / Ignore / Help

Selecting Ignore changes the message to:

"Object GOTERM is not found."

Choosing help does nothing..was it meant to go to the help file?

Worked out that it is related to the paths in Data_paths.txt not being found.

So is it possible to have a better error message, I suggest linking it to the "Data File Storage" or "Advanced data storage" or a new error message. With a message that indicates that the paths for your project listed in your Data_paths.txt file is not available on the pc eg:your external usb drive is not plugged in or turned off, or you are signed in to the wrong windows account.

I changed Data_paths.txt to point to d:\ (which does not exist) and when I started tmg I received the error indicated. The descriptive error message sound like a good idea.

This issue is related to running TMG in a Virtual Machine using Parallels on an Intel based MAC...

IMO those who choose to run TMG in that environment need to take the necessary steps in configuring both their Parallels and TMG installations so they function.

See: http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...showtopic=10076 for details

I agree with you about the virtual environment.

I was only confirming the issue happens in a non virtual environment and more importantly pointing out nn's suggestions for the broken behavior of the error message and how it could be improved.

NN's suggestions are as follows:

1.Have a better error message.

2.Link the help button to the relevant help file topic (nn suggest: "Data File Storage" or "Advanced data storage" or a new section on the error message. (see the email from the tmg list I copied into my message above)

My suggestions are to go one step further:

3. Bring the functionality of the Data_paths.txt into tmg itself

4. When the error/message occurs be given a open project dialog box or be shown the welcome box (depending on your settings)

This means that each time you start tmg, and Data_paths.txt is found in your tmg folder, tmg would first try the paths you have provided and if not then give you the option to continue.

Instead of the current behaviors:

* Pressing cancel > cancels and does not start tmg

* Pressing ignore > (you can ignore 3 times) and the tmg main window comes up with a message about the app.ini not found (message only stays up for a few seconds)

* Pressing help > no action (help does not appear)

Note that, technically, there are no error messages in that there is no table or list of error messages.

Error messages are generated on the fly and are basically meaningful only to a developer.

To do something with an error, what is needed is:

1) A concise description of the issue.

2) A concise step-by-step procedure to replicate the issue.

3) The error message if there is one.

(Only the first error message is meaningful. There is no point to reporting subsequent error messages that you get by clicking [ignore].)

Some error messages come from TMG and some come from VFP9. TMG error messages are recorded in error.txt located in the Logs folder in your user data tree. VFP9 error messages are recorded in vfp9rerr.log which is located in the system32 folder (WinXP) or in the VirtualStore (WinVista).

A beta tester will take the information provided as above and write a Bug Submission report.

ggilbert1>I believe NN is running TMG in a virtual environment Linux - Wine

Yes, I agreed with you. I searched the archive and saw that message and also saw that NN(Nathan) & Ian look after the Wine entry for TMG.

My confirmation of the issue was done on a plain windows xp sp3 system (For the record, I have my main genealogy database for tmg in Vmware, I did not test Vmware for this issue.)

Note that, technically, there are no error messages in that there is no table or list of error messages.

Error messages are generated on the fly and are basically meaningful only to a developer.

To do something with an error, what is needed is:

1) A concise description of the issue.

2) A concise step-by-step procedure to replicate the issue.

3) The error message if there is one.

(Only the first error message is meaningful. There is no point to reporting subsequent error messages that you get by clicking [ignore].)

Some error messages come from TMG and some come from VFP9. TMG error messages are recorded in error.txt located in the Logs folder in your user data tree. VFP9 error messages are recorded in vfp9rerr.log which is located in the system32 folder (WinXP) or in the VirtualStore (WinVista).

A beta tester will take the information provided as above and write a Bug Submission report.

Hi Jim, I believe I understand your message, a bit like the Matrix, there is no spoon :)

post-2492-1232797660_thumb.jpg

I looked for the error.txt where you suggested and in the program files directory of tmg and the documents and settings but could not find one. I wonder where TMG saves a error.txt for a user data tree when you have this error, as it basically is for a non existant user data tree.

I found no vfp9rerr.log in the system32 folder (WinXP)

The contents of the Data_paths.txt I used to test this was as follows:

[username]

SharedProgramData=E:\tmg\sharedprogramdata

UserProgramData=E:\tmg\userprogramdata

UserData=E:\tmg\userdata

Where [username] is your win xp account and "E:\" is a Drive/location that does not exist

Do you have enough information from the previous messages to replicate the issue?

If you need anything else, please ask.

Jim

Would you like me to write the Bug Submission report?

Sam -

The error.txt file is in the Logs folder where your user data files are located. In WinXP, that is by default at

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

I found the vfp9rerr.log in the Windows\System32 folder - just after the all-caps VFP9RENU.DLL file.

Virginia

Sam -

The error.txt file is in the Logs folder where your user data files are located. In WinXP, that is by default at

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

I found the vfp9rerr.log in the Windows\System32 folder - just after the all-caps VFP9RENU.DLL file.

Virginia

In my test no error logs where found in any of the places mentioned.

When you say you found the vfp9rerr.log do you mean you ran the same test I described, and a error file was created?

I have a vfp9rerr.log in the Windows\System32 folder. I deleted the contents of that file and tested with Sam M's suggested data_paths.txt file.

Starting TMG with a data_paths.txt file pointing to a non-existent drive generates the GOTERM error message, vfp9rerr.log is not modified, that would seem to indicate GOTERM is not a FoxPro error.

Modified the data_paths.txt file pointing to an existing drive, upon starting TMG created the folders on the designated drive and copied a large number of files to the designated paths.

It appears the GOTERM error is related to the routine that creates the folders and copies files to finalize installation and make TMG ready to use.

If the drive does not exist an error.txt file cannot be generated :lamo:

If the drive exists there is NO error to report :thumbsup:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Most users probably don't need a data_paths.txt file, those that do will point to an existing drive/path.

That said perhaps the GOTERM error dialog should indicate the drive does not exist or cannot be found :sweat:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

IMO those using a data_paths.txt file are advanced computer & TMG users and should be able to figure it out for themselves.

Edited by ggilbert1

If the drive does not exist an error.txt file cannot be generated :lamo:

If the drive exists there is NO error to report :thumbsup:

Maybe the default action should be to log those files somewhere.

Most users probably don't need a data_paths.txt file, those that do will point to an existing drive/path.

That said perhaps the GOTERM error dialog should indicate the drive does not exist or cannot be found :sweat:

I believe the simplest solution would be to link the help button on the error message to the correct section of the help file.

IMO those using a data_paths.txt file are advanced computer & TMG users and should be able to figure it out for themselves.

Advanced users would find it helpful if the error message led to help. :rolleyes:

Maybe Data_paths.txt can be incorporated into the existing "Data Set Manager" :D

Maybe Data_paths.txt can be incorporated into the existing "Data Set Manager" :D

The reference to help and to including data_paths.txt mechanism within the program are both a problem of which comes first "the chicken or the egg".

Help doesn't exist until the install completes.

The data_paths.txt mechanism is like taking the current install and "copying" it to a new location in the computer, then deleting those bits that have been moved, which is likely the program itself that is doing the deleting. It is like sitting on the branch of a tree while sawing it off from the tree.

The relocation process can easily get into knot as some definition files contain references to paths in other places that are likley to get moved in the process.

I also want to control the install paths of various folders for some uses of TMG, especially when you want to share files across a network.

A separate tool could be built to validate the process prior to the first of opening of TMG.