ketchell

Creating an all source list to link in Second Site

I've only gotten into SS at a basic level. I can see that all I need to do is create a .html file and place in the -i folder for SS and create a link to as a menu button. I looked at John Cardinal's SS User Items options and he linked to the s1.htm, which is the first page of sources which contains next/previous buttons. That works well for those sources in the current TMG db SS makes.

What I'm looking for is the best option to create an ALL sources .html file from TMG that I can link as a menu button in SS as a way of proofing all the potential sources (about 2300) in my TMG db as a cleanup. I'd like to include all the source components, even whether an exhibit is included as an option. I know there is a List Sources report option. But not sure how that would look as a formatted .html for review, so thought I'd ask if anyone had tried to create a clean looking file for review of sources with exhibit links in expectation they'll be a SS site in the future.

The easiest way would be to create a separate file for everyone in your database and then you could move the source pages from that file to your SS folder. I use SS offline to do cleanup all the time and it's very easy to see where you need to make changes when you have it in the HTML file. Don't know that I'd put it online, though, cleaned or uncleaned. What good does it do a reader to know you consulted a source for a line that isn't part of your online tree.

You might also consider Johm Cardinal's TMG Utility program to aid in this effort. You could use either the "Make Source Page" feature or the "Export Data - Sources" feature. Both can create an HTML file to review all your sources from your dataset for cleanup. Not sure what these will do with exhibits as I have not used these features myself, but might be worth testing.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I had forgotten about the TMG Utility. Thanks for that suggestion. It does provide a nice quick .html list for all sources that will be useful. What it doesn't provide is the ability to include all the source components to see what's in them and which needed edited for old bad data. I'll just proceed on a 1x1 clean up to get everything in SS ready format.

If you are getting them SS ready, might I suggest picking the family you want to start with, creating the file and cleaning up the sources attached to that group of people. Then work with the next group. I find it easier to work one family at a time.

I had forgotten about the TMG Utility. Thanks for that suggestion. It does provide a nice quick .html list for all sources that will be useful. What it doesn't provide is the ability to include all the source components to see what's in them and which needed edited for old bad data. I'll just proceed on a 1x1 clean up to get everything in SS ready format.

The Export Data feature in TMG Utility has the ability to export source information to an HTML page. It's pretty comprehensive, and includes more than the Make Source List feature.