Evenwhen

Holes in Project Explorer

After running a filter to select entries that I need to edit, I get a list in the Project Explorer that has null entries in it. When stepping through the PE with <CTRL><UP-ARROW> hitting a hole gives an empty detail screen and when stepping to the next entry, goes back to the begining. I have to open the PE and click on the next valid entry to continue. The entries I an filtering on are Name-Birth and Name-Prime (a custom tag). I have run Optomize and VFI to be sure there are no errors in the files.

PE%20Screen.jpg

Running Re-index, Optomize, or VFI doesn't seem to change anything. What does change something is: If the current individual is NOT in the set selected by the filter, there are holes in the PE; but if the current individual IS in the set selected by the filter, there are no holes. Most peculiar.

Changing the sort sequence to anything except "Surname, Given name, Birth date" eliminates the holes. However changing back to that sequence reinstates the holes. So, the only sequence that fails is: Sort sequence is Sur name, Given name, Birth date, with current person not in the list that the filter will select. This fails every time for me. I will try different filters to see if that makes a difference.

To further isolate the problem, I ran the test on another of my projects with the same results. I then tried the Sample project but there aren't enough entries to show the problem. Finally, I created a new project from a GEDCOM file and it exhibited the problem too. That's all I can think of to do so will wait for smarter heads to make suggestions.

I don't see any way to replicate this.

The 'missing' names shown in your screenshot are non-primary names of people who have no descendants.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by your answer, but I ran a test again and entered the same conditions in the simple picklist. That was I could find the person who should have been in the hole in the PE. That person was a male husband, given name unknown, with a wife and thre children. The tag box shows a narrativechildren tag, a marriage tag, two son-bio tags, and a dau-bio tag. The primary name tag is a name-birth tag with only the surname filled in. Running the PE filter with this person as focus gives a PE with no holes.

That was based on the screenshot... and apparently doesn't hold up.

Give an exact description of how to you can replicate the PE display in every project that includes enough names... one exact filter and any other requirements necessary to get the display.

Usually shutting down TMG or running reindex will fix those for me.

I tend to get this quite often aswell.

After running Reindex, Optimize AND Validate I get it fixed. I mean running them all.

This is a feeling but if you do following, you get it more often:

1. After adding several people

2. Sort order primaryBirth date this appears more often than if sort in ID-number

3. I also feel that setting Collate Sequence to General instead SWEFIN helped, but this is just a feeling

Then scrolling up and down the explorer

Peter

Peter: This doesn't work for me. I ran Reindex, Optomize, VFI three times in a row this morning and the error is still there. Interesting observation. I have a hole at the 28th position from the bottom of the list. I ran the filter on the picklist and determined the entry that should have been there. I then corrected that entry which removed it from inclusion by the filter. I reran the filter in PE and the hole was still at postion 28 from the end and on an individual that showed up in the list on the prior run. Soooo, I am using ID as the PR sort field so I don't have to contend with the holes for now.

Peter: This doesn't work for me. I ran Reindex, Optomize, VFI three times in a row this morning and the error is still there. Interesting observation. I have a hole at the 28th position from the bottom of the list. I ran the filter on the picklist and determined the entry that should have been there. I then corrected that entry which removed it from inclusion by the filter. I reran the filter in PE and the hole was still at postion 28 from the end and on an individual that showed up in the list on the prior run. Soooo, I am using ID as the PR sort field so I don't have to contend with the holes for now.

It really sounded the same what I experienced.

I can not help more.

Peter