Hello,

I have the need to make a filter that will change a flag for me but it is turning out to be more complicated than I originally envisaged.

I have several Flags called Brit Census 1841, 1851 etc, up to 1911 and I use these with -,Y,N,P for not applicable, yes, no or possible and I use them to help me work out where I could find the relevant people in the census or if they have already been found.

I am trying to make a filter that will allow me to identify which people could be on each census for each year, and then run a LoP to change the flag to P as I have forgotten to update people's flags as and when I have added them or when I have found them on the census.

I originally thought that a simple filter consisting of:

BIRTH GROUP DATE DOES NOT COME BEFORE 1741 ANDBIRTH GROUP DATE DOES NOT COME AFTER APR 1841 AND(DEATH GROUP DATE DOES NOT COME BEFORE APR 1841 ORBURIAL GROUP DATE DOES NOT COME BEFORE APR 1841)

would filter out all those not born in the 100 years before 1841 and those that have died before 1841. However, if someone has a birth group tag that has an empty date they still get included and those with no death or burial group tags get left out.

I am assuming that I will need a several filters that need to pick up each group of people individually and then somehow combine them to get the required output but I have tried for several days to do it and I just can't seem to.

Can anyone else point me on the right direction?

The time I have taken to work it out would probably have been long enough to do all 1700 people manually but it's now the principle of not being able to work out how to do it that is spurring me on.

Try a filter along the lines of the 'men who might have registered for ww1 draft' filter in the Sample project. Copy that filter file to your project folder and then check the settings from the filter screen.

That's great, thanks Jim.

The results that filter produces seem to give me what I am after. The main problem I had was that I had put in Baptism Tags that had no date entered which were added even if the birth date was outside the filter criteria, so I have changed these to show 'after dates' and the results are better.

I will let you know if I notice any unexpected results.

Ben

filter1.png

I have attached a screenshot of the example filter to which Jim refers, and added some notes from Help about the filter screen. To save the screenshot for future reference, first 'Click to view full image' and then right-click and select 'Save Image as' (or 'Save Picture as') to save to your computer.

Virginia

Ben,

These type of filters are much easier to work with if you add a sort date to every tag that you are likely to filter on and then use sort dates in your filter.

Ben,

I suggest using the filters from the below meeting presentation I gave to the Arlington RUG http://www.rootsusers.org/ and later updated.

*May 13, 2006 1880 Census Candidates Using Flags and Book Manager, by Janis Rodriguez

http://www.rootsusers.org/downloads/200605...guez-census.pdf

Two other filter presentations handouts are on the RUG's downloads page under Meeting Presentations.

*May 13, 2006 Filter Basics, Rev2, by Janis Rodriguez

*May 13, 2006 Favorite Filters, Rev3, by Janis Rodriguez

The Favorite Filters handout was a big hit and many ended up in the sample filters which come with TMG 7. After Bob asked to use them, the EC decided to make the three filter presentations available to all, not just RUG members. Ordinarily meeting presentations are only available to non-members for a couple months.

Hope this helps! :)

Janis P. Rodriguez

VP Arlington (VA) RUG