Sign in to follow this  
Alexander Payne

To understand the make up of TMG

I have a large database and I know that this will slow the reponse time of commands, to find someome in the picklist if I type a search name it is quit a wait for the key strokes to respond as compared to other programs where it would be instant. I aslo know I can disable item/features to improve proformance.

The question, is this due to the makeup of the programming of the software, if so what are the differences? I want to understand this before I purchase a new faster computer at 2/3 K.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Not clear what you mean by a large database? Many of us users have several thousands of people in our databases with little problem. Have you run the TMG maintenance routines recently, expecially Optimize? I find after I have entered several people I need to run Optimize for it to rebuild various indexes, which does improve the speed in the picklists.

Sandy,

As Michael says, various things can cause TMG to be more sluggish than we might like. I've found a faster computer has helped in the past.

The Picklist in particular can be sluggish if you are using the advanced version, and are using Accents that are based on a filter like "is and ancestor of ..." rather than on a Flag. Such filters have to be re-computed for each new person in view, while Flags are simply read from a file.

I have a database with c. 10000 people and TMG7.

My very old pc with a pentium IV is a bit sluggish with the Picklist. What really causes a real problem with this pc is the use of the accent feature that turns it so slow that is almost unusable.

The other pc with i5 does not pose any problem.