Granddaddy

Pedigree Report not displaying place fields

I am creating a Pedigree Report with these place fields selected: Addressee, Detail, City, County, State.

Detail and City do not display when there is a County and State value for the event. If I remove the County value from the event, then the City will display. Similarly, Detail will not display unless I have both the County and City blank for the event.

Is this a feature to limit the number of characters to be displayed in the event's place field in the Pedigree Report, or is it a bug?

My question has been viewed 76 times since I posted it on January 30, but no one has responded as yet.

Does anyone else see this behavior in the Pedigree Report or is it simply that no one ever uses the report in this manner so it is not a problem?

Thanks for any insight you can give me into the proper use of the Pedigree Report.

I have heard that there currently is an issue with the output of places in the Pedigree report when using the options "Short Place" or "Place Styles". Are you using either of those Report Options? Have you tried using the Report Option "Use Selected Places"?

I have heard that there currently is an issue with the output of places in the Pedigree report when using the options "Short Place" or "Place Styles". Are you using either of those Report Options? Have you tried using the Report Option "Use Selected Places"?

I should have been more clear. I am using the Pedigree Report Option "Use Selected Places" and I have selected the first 6 options of Addressee, Detail, City/Town, County/Parish, State/Province, Country. The created report displays the County and State fields but fails to display the Addressee, Detail, and City fields that are selected. (My records do not include a value in the Country field and the resulting report is the same whether or not the Country field is checked as an option.)

Strangely enough, if I select the Places option "Use Short Place field" then the City, County, and State fields will display. When I select the option "Use selected place fields" and select the fields Addressee, Detail, City, County, State, then only the county and state fields will display. That is, the Short Place field option displays more fields than does the option to display the specific fields. In addition, neither option displays the Addressee and Detail fields. The "Use place styles" option also displays only the County and State fields.

The question remains, why is the Pedigree Report failing to display the specified place fields?

Has anyone found an answer for this question from 2012? Its now April 2014 and I am having the same issue. I can not get the place fields I need to print.

Is there a resolution for this...please HELP

An alternative is the Ancestor box chart version of the pedigree chart. You can include all places in a chart. The VCF pedigree booklet uses fancy frames, but the same chart can be constructed using no frames or box lines at all, much like a conventional pedigree chart. You can find links to it on the VCF forum, also here. In that thread, message #6, are the settings for a pedigree chart.

Virginia

Thank you very for the reply. I will use this option in the future for other things. This would be a great work around if I needed this report for myself. However, this is for a genealogy class and although I can get all the place name information to print it does not meet the other requirements I need for the assignment.

What I need is for the Pedigree Chart to print properly showing place names as the report options show is available....but obviously is not working.

I am an OLD TMG user and I have older printed Pedigree Sheets from previous TMG versions. This option worked properly then. I got away from genealogy and now I have the latest TMG version and this is not working.

Is there a bug fix for this issue? Is one being worked on? If so, when will it be available?

I have version 9.01 Gold Edition

Thank you, Robin

Edited by robins1952

Robin -

You might try editing the .rpt definition in Notepad for the pedigree report and change all the place No's to Yes. It is a simple text file and easy to read and edit. And check any other place settings there that might apply. You always have the .bak report definition that you can restore. The report definitions have the *.rpt extension in your Configuration files folder. See Help (on the top menu) / Access folders, for the path to that folder.

Virginia

In the test that I just ran, no places have level 1 or 2 but most have city, county, state (levels 3-5) and all three print in the output. I set up as you described with selected levels and the first 6 levels selected. I don't see county and state having any effect on city output.

You have reset the report definition and reselected the place options that you want to see if that corrects the problem? By default, county, state and country are selected.

There is a space restriction and that's why you would normally want to use the short place option for this report.

Virginia & Jim, Thank you both for responding so quickly.

Virginia - I will take a look at that but I think Jim may have found an answer for me.

I was not as clear in my original post as I should have been. My example was not identical to the original poster Granddaddy but close enough. I was not getting city, county, state, country for all generations, only the first two. Then I would not get city in later generations even when there was adequate space for it.

However, after reading Jims comments if I limit my request to only 3 fields- city, county, state and eliminate country then those 3 all show up for ALL generations throughout the report. I added country because although most records are US I do have 2 people who have UK information and I wanted it to be complete.

For this assignment since United States is assumed I don't need the country listed for the majority of the people and now all other necessary information is printing. For the 2 ancestors on this report that are born in the UK I will put Wales and England in the State field and forget about the UK country listing, That should work and be acceptable for the lesson. But, I may see if I can save to a word file and manually add UK to the 2. That would be more complete.

Thank you both for your help. Robin