djsavell

Picklist Sorting

TMG 9.05 - When I hit the search button and it takes me to the Picklist, it only sorts on the last name. Putting a letter for the 1st name takes it automatically to the first record of the next alphabetical last name. See the attached example. I had the same problem with TMG 7.04. I had to send my database to Bob years ago for him to fix. When I upgraded to 9.05 the problem returned. Unfortunately I missed sending the new version to him for repair before TMG went extinct. Any thoughts?

Capture.JPG

Have you run Optimize, Validate File Integrity, Optimize?

Try changing the sort sequence to something else and then back to 'Last name, given name, birth date'.

I just recently started having the exact same problem DJsavell describes!

I have been running on TMG 9.05 since it first issued, but it seems the problem only applies to surnames I have entered more recently (can't say yet where the cut-off is). I've run Validate File Integrity, Reindex, and Optimize, to no avail.

I also noticed that for some recent entries I made, the ladies whose Married names were automatically generated, got sorted in the picklist below the rest of the folks within the same surname (as if they had hidden characters after their surnames).  However, interestingly, these got properly detected when I ran the search with surname <comma> and then part of <given name".  Then, I re-edited each of the "Marr Name" fields for this "second group of individuls".  Once I dd that, they then re-sorted into position with all the others of the same surname (that I had also recently entered), but now all of that recently entered surname, plus this "second group" all get skipped over as soon as I type the "comma" after the surname. (when sort is "Surname, Given Name, Birth Date" or sort is "Surname, Given Name, Death Date"). [ I hope that made sense]

Further, I don't think I've ever attempted to customize Name Styles.
Wondering if I've hit some sort of internal limit because of too many name entries in the picklist or something like that.

Totally perplexed!

Updated to show example:

I attach an image showing yet another example of the problem.  In this case I've entered a bunch of "Toll" family members (all recently entered.)  When I run the search in the picklist and type "Toll, d" it skips past all the Tools until it stops and selects Toll, Sarah. who happened to have had her "Marr-Name" auto-generated. [Note: I've manually scrolled the picklist downward prior to snapshotting the screen to show the Tolls above Sarah. I did not alter the selected name.]

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 3.20.57 PMEDT.png

Edited by rhube
wanted to show an example.

Try rebuilding all indexes...

File / Maintenance / Reindex

If that doesn't work, run VFI and at the end, select yes to resort all names. This rebuilds the name sort in the name data table. If you don't have this option as the last step in VFI, I'll tell you how to add it.

Jim

I've done all that with the exception that I don't have the option to to rebuild the name index.  Please tell me how that option is exposed.

In the mean-time, I've been running a List of Persons reports and I'm now seeing that when I print out the names with a column Type = Name Group*tag; Last, GivenNames  all my more recent entries and edits are showing up with hidden additional space(s) after the Surname.  (see attached image with markups)  UPDATE...confirmed it is a single space character after the surname.

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 3.56.56 PMEDT.png

Edited by rhube

What Collate sequence are you using in your TMG Project?   (See Preferences / Current Project Options / Other)

If your Collate sequence for that Project is other than "GENERAL'" you could be seeing the symptoms of a known remaining bug.  If not, then there must be some other cause.

For the Collate sequence bug see the description about "Changing Primary Name designation" in my list of outstanding bugs.

Michael,

My Collate sequence is set to GENERAL and I'm using the STANDARD NAME STYLE.

Further analysis has given me a few more clues...

My affected entries were all Names I entered or first entered or re-editted after July/August 2016.  I'm thinking that may be about the time I upgraded to 9.05? (not remembering).  Entries whose "last edit date" is before that date don't have the extra space after the surname.  Entries initially made or apparently re-editted (name field) after that date have the extra Space after the surname.  Interestingly though, the auto-generated MARR-Name don't have the extra spaces. But after I did my edits to those in that group, they too became like the other recently editted names (with an extra unwanted space).

So, now I know what's happening and when it started happening.  I just don't know how to fix it.

--Randy

Edited by rhube

How to add the name resort feature to VFI...

Edit the app.ini with Notepad. Add a new section as follows...

[VFI]
ResortAllNames=Yes

I normally add this section after the [Advanced] section and before the [Timelines] section.

The app.ini is located in this folder...

C:\Users\(your user account name)\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v9

I just wanted to report back that I did as Jim suggested and enable the switch to allow name resorting during execution of Verify File Integrity.  I then ran Verify File Integrity.  It asked if I wanted to resort the names and I said yes.  It then proceeded to do that.  However, it had no effect on the "hidden" extra space at the end of the surnames for entries made since about Aug 2016.

I will add that I run TMG 9.05 on a MAC (10.13.3) in a Parallels virtual machine  with Windows 7.  I've been running in that kind of configuration since about 2011 (save for the numerous OS upgrades over that time) without any real issues. I'd be curious to know what kind of system djsavell is running.

Edited by rhube

Like John, I think that this is almost surely an issue with the name style. THat's consistent with the pattern that has been described.

If it's the name style, it might be fixed by fixing the name style.

Jim,

It seems like that would be true, but I've never edited my system's name style and as best I can see, there are no unexplained characters or spaces in the U.S. Standard Name Style that is set.  I also find it odd that if Married names are auto generated, they are properly done (even for recent entries). Wouldn't that also use the same name style?

If it wasn't for another user reporting the same problem I would lean toward a possible corruption of my software.  But with another user reporting the same exact thing, that seems a little bit unlikely.

I just wish there was some way to fix the problem, even if it meant manually editing hundreds of name entries.  But I can't see any way to do that.  I even looked at TMG Utility as a possible way to remove "space" characters, but it didn't seem to recognize any to remove. (I only ran it in logging mode as I was concerned there may be names with spaces).

I remain perplexed.

Edited by rhube

Send me a backup with your project files only so that I can examine the name table and style table.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Well, after hours of further study of my set up and my data, I finally think I may have found what's causing my problem!  It seems, I AM in fact using a customized "Name Style" that is not properly set up as my default name style template after all!  John and Jim's assumption about that being the problem was correct!

The problem was that in all my earlier analysis, the problem eluded my detection for a very subtle reason.  Every time I reviewed my default name template setup (in DataSet Manager), I saw "U.S.Standard Name".  What I failed to catch was that it wasn't "U.S. Standard Name"!  The difference being the missing space character between "U.S." and "Standard" !  I just kept looking at it and thinking I'm using the U.S. Standard Name style!  And, In this altered name style, the surname sort template and surname display template both are different from the standard template in that they read .... [SortSurname] [PreSurname], [GivenName] ... (with a space character between the SortSurname and Presurname values)!  That's how the trailing space after the surname is being introduced!

The only thing I don't understand is how this template got introduced as the default about 2 years back, as I have no memory of playing with the Name style.  My only guess is that having been a TMG user since way back (version 3 or 4), I may have at one time, very long ago, experimented with alternate name styles and forgotten all about it. And then maybe 2 years ago I accidently re-activated it, not realizing it wasn't the TRUE standard name style.

In the past 10-12 years I've been smart enough to encode every one of my new customized templates, styles, event tags, etc. with my initials after them, so I KNOW they are customized by me, but way back I was not that smart!

I guess my only word of advice for djsavell is to go back and carefully check your default name style set-up too!

I'm not sure yet exactly how I'm going to fix all my bad entries (maybe about 300 people), but I'm hoping that it's just a matter of restoring the proper standard style as default and then manually "re-editing" each of the names.  Does anybody know if just opening the Name Tag entry window and then closing it again by immediately clicking "OK" is sufficient to invoke the correct name style template? Or do I actually have to make a text string change, which implies 2 opens of the Name tag window (one time to add a temporary character, and a second time to remove the temporary character)?  I guess I'll find out.  Either way, I guess it's not going to be my most productive weekend!  [UPDATE: Never mind, I see I can correct the name style right in the Name Tag window]

In any case, thanks guys for all the great assistance!

--Randy

Edited by rhube

Randy,

If you are not using the 'custom' name style, simply delete it and those names will revert to using the default name style. That gets them all done in one step.

Also make sure that the correct name style is set for the data set in the Data Set Manager.

After that, I would run Validate File Integrity and use the name sorting option once again.

im

Great suggestions Jim!  Thanks!

Maybe with that I can yet still salvage a small amount of productivity this weekend!

Edited by rhube