jmrupp

Report of all sources with unknown value

I want to be able to create a report which gives me the source number of each source that has an unknown value inserted by tmg in any of the full footnote, the short footnote, the bibliography. Is this possible? If it is, how is this accomplished? Thanks jmrupp

I don't think there is a way. The trouble is the "unknown" phrase can come from any of dozens of source elements.

The best suggestion I can think of is to create a large report with sources sent to a word processor file. Then, in the word processor, search for "unknown."

You might get close with a List of Sources with a filter for all the source element groups that appear on the Source Definition General Tab that are empty. The non-people source element groups are: Title, Short Title, Subtitle, Short Subtitle, Record Type, Date, Second Date, Location, Second Location, Publisher, Publisher Location, Series, Edition, Version, Volumes, Pages, File Reference, Record Number, Film Number. For example:

Title		  Is Empty	ORShort Title	Is Empty	ORSubtitle	   Is Empty	OR...

The "people" source element groups (Author, Subject, Compiler, Editor, Second Person) are specified slightly differently:

Author-ID...	Is Empty   ORSubject-ID...   Is Empty   OR...

There is a maximum number of filter lines for a single filter, so you may have to run multiple reports to check all source elements. Of course, for a given source a particular element may not even be defined, so you will be listing those when you do not need to, so this may lessen the value of such a report. It would probably be more useful to restrict the report to a particular type of source and only check for the source element groups that you have defined for that source type, e.g.

Source Type is	 Census, Federal (Filmed)   AND(   Title		  Is Empty				   OR	Short Title	Is Empty				   OR	Subtitle	   Is Empty				   OR	...									)  END

Hope this gives you ideas.

Edited by mjh

The trouble with trying to find them with filters is you need both the operators "is present in a template" and "is not conditional." Otherwise you get lots of false positives. And neither of the operators is available in the List of Sources report filters.

I'd suggest a refinement of my earlier idea - run an Individual Narrative or Individual Detail report with sources sent to endnotes, with the subjects being everyone in the data set. Send it to a word processor, then search the endnotes in the word processor for "unknown."

If the resulting file is too large to open in your word processor, do it with blocks of ID#s, using a filter for ID#s. Set the block size small enough that the resulting files can be opened.

I'd suggest using Second Site, you can send the full footnote to the source sentence. Open the site in your browser, navigate to a source page and use the find feature in a similar manner to that used in a word processor.

If you use Firefox, you can use the Highlight all function. :lookaround:

:bugeye: see attached screen capture post-395-1174253109_thumb.jpg

You can have your second site source page open and TMG open side by side or over / under.

You can send the bibliography or the short foot note to the source sentence too, but not in the same build of a site.