gpink

USGS Geographic Names Information Upgrade

I followed the instructions in the latest Wholly Genes Newsletter, 27 July 2007, Issue 2007-11 to update the Web menu / Place databases / GNIS selection.

The instructions in the Newsletter were as follows:

1) To update the Web menu:

Access Web menu > Places databases > Customize and change the URL for "United States (GNIS)" to:

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic

Save those changes and then access the service through Web > Places databases > United States (GNIS).

I followed the instructions and now cannot open my family file. Multiple errors appear including "Function name is missing ). 36 TMGAPPOBJ.MUPDATEWEBPLACES", with Abort, Retry and Ignore buttons. No combination of pressing these buttons allows me to open my family file.

What is going on and what is the solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Geoff

Under what operating system? I see the instructions fail running v6.12 under WinVista.

Copy the attached file into the TMG program folder replacing the existing file. If running WinVista, respond affirmatively to the User Account Control prompts.

webplaces.txt

I followed Jim's instructions and everything works fine under XP Pro. I would recommend if you haven't done this yet, to rename the original file to something else first in case you have to go back. :)

I edited the first message so that it only refers to the issue of concern.

Joan... I deleted your messages because they were doing nothing but creating confusion. Please read the first message above describing the problem and the second message with the solution.

I used the "update" method rather than customizing the URL to change the content and it worked perfectly in WinXP.

I used the "update" method rather than customizing the URL to change the content and it worked perfectly in WinXP.

That makes absolutely no sense regarding the issue under discussion.

Thanks Jim. Copying the .txt file that you provided worked perfectly.

Until I copied the file, I found that hitting the "Ignore" button twice in a row allowed the program to start and load my family file.

For your information, I (like another poster named Carol) am using Windows XP, SP2.

Thanks again,

Geoff

Phil says:

"If you copy the link in the newsletter and paste it in replacing the other GNIS entry in the Customize menu it gets changed when you close the window. When it's saved the link underline turns into [uND:]xxxxxxxx[:UND]. Those Underline codes break the address. Removing them restores the functionality."

This accounts for the WinXP issue at least. It's still easier to just grab the file linked above and copy it to your program folder.

Under what operating system? I see the instructions fail running v6.12 under WinVista.

Copy the attached file into the TMG program folder replacing the existing file. If running WinVista, respond affirmatively to the User Account Control prompts.

I am running WinXP and followed Jim's instructions.

My database opens but the link only gives me the result of:

server not found.

Now I can go ahead and click on my bookmark from withing my browser, for the GNIS webpage, and from there enter the fields for the query myself, and all works fine.

so I am not sure what else I might try? :(

Edit: Here is what the line in the browser says: can't find the server at \\geonames.usgs.gov\pls\gnispublic".

and by clicking on the browser icon from within my tag window I get this error message:

can't find the server at\\geonames.usgs.gov\pls\gnisarchive\web_fips55.gnisprod.

so it looks like somehow the backslashes get changed around to be forward slashes?

I have applied that update Zip file as directed in the July newsletter, and restarted TMG, and it said it was applying the update...

Edit2:

OK, I found another post on this subject saying:

Also, make sure you have...

Preferences / Program Options / Other / Send URLs to the browser with backslashes setting unchecked.

and once I did that all worked fine and dandy.

this is odd, because I had never changed that before and the link using the icon in the Tag window always worked :blink:

OH Well, I am happy now, all is fine and dandy!

Edited by MsScarlet1957

Make sure that you have made this Preferences change.

File / Preferences / Program Options / Other / uncheck 'Send URLs to the browser with backslashes'

File / Preferences / Program Options / Other / uncheck 'Send URLs to the browser with backslashes'

OH, Thanks Jim, I must have just found your old post at the same time you were typing it in "again" for my benefit! :D

Edited by MsScarlet1957

Thanks Jim, that fixed my problem as well.

Eileen

OK... New problem... kind of

I have upgraded to TMG v7

and back to square one it seems

my GNIS is not working again.

and by the way... under: File / Preferences / Program Options / Other

'Send URLs to the browser with backslashes' no longer exists.

I would have thought all this would be working fine and dandy in V7 ?

maybe the GNIS made some new changes to their website??

help needed!