Version 7

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

On chart front, it is possible to use different frames as part of an accenting scheme. So find or create a frame that you can use for each sex. I quickly knocked up some "custom" frames to illustrate this using the same method that I described in GTMOOTMG page 245.

This works best with the UK style marriages as this causes all boxes within a genration to be the same height.

Instructions (based on Robin's method described in GTMOOTMG) for creating and using custom frames are at:

http://www.whollygen...st=0#entry30360

Virginia
Win7 Professional x64

#22 joanmc

joanmc
  • Senior Members
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:SURNAMES: BOWEN*, BUTTON, CARMEN*, CLEGHORN, COOK*, DAVIS, FALKNER*, GOWDY, HOUGH*, LINDSAY, McFARLAND, McILMOYL*, MIDDAUGH*, MILLS, MUNRO*, NEWMAN, NICHOLSON, SHAVER*, SIMPSON, SIPES*, WAIN<br /><br />* United Empire Loyalists<br /><br />Computers, Genealogy, History, Photography, Philosophy

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:05 PM

Thanks so much for this Virginia, Lee & Robin. I happen to have the book so could look it up but I know several of our Users' Group haven't been able to purchase one due to it being out of print so this will be most helpful. (I hope a new edition will follow the release of v7?)

B)
Joan

Instructions (based on Robin's method described in GTMOOTMG) for creating and using custom frames are at:

http://www.whollygen...st=0#entry30360

Virginia

Joan McIlmoyl Cleghorn, U.E.
From Beautiful Saseenos, near Sooke & Victoria BC Canada
genealogy@joansjoy.ca
Joan's Joy of Learning

#23 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:37 PM

Bob, I was just about to purchase the v.6.12 online, and saw this msg about a v.7 and the availability of getting the upgrade to v.7 if you purchase the v.6.12 after 17 Aug 2007......I presently do not have any version of TMG and was wondering how long I would have to wait, and should I wait, to get the v.7?????

Bev, in my opinion, there is no need to wait. From what has been demo'ed, TMG7 will add new features, but not be fundamentally different than TMG6. Thus, whatever you do in TMG6 will work fine when you TMG7, and what you learn about using it will transfer seamlessly. The only issue is that if you find some neat new feature you can't live without you may want to go back to previously edited data and apply it. :)

Bob has said only that he expects to release version 7 by the end of the year. Based on past experience, I really doubt he will say anything more specific.

also, I have two computers, one with windows xp and one with windows vista; I want to use the program on both computers, and I would like to know if I can enter info on one computer, make copies of the info on discs and back it up on the other computer with this program.

You can readily install TMG on both computers (read the instructions for installing on Vista mentioned in other threads).

If the computers are connected by a network, you can place the data on one of them and access it from either. Or, you can transfer the data back and forth. The easiest way to do that is by use of the backup and restore functions. The major issue with transferring the data back and forth is to maintain the discipline to avoid editing or entering data on both copies at once.
Terry

See my Tutorials and Articles on using TMG at tmg.reigelridge.com

The Second Edition of my book, A Primer for The Master Genealogist, is still available
. For more information see my website.

#24 Lee

Lee
  • User Group Coordinators
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:06 PM

Bob, I was just about to purchase the v.6.12 online, and saw this msg about a v.7 and the availability of getting the upgrade to v.7 if you purchase the v.6.12 after 17 Aug 2007......I presently do not have any version of TMG and was wondering how long I would have to wait, and should I wait, to get the v.7?????
also, I have two computers, one with windows xp and one with windows vista; I want to use the program on both computers, and I would like to know if I can enter info on one computer, make copies of the info on discs and back it up on the other computer with this program.
I tried to call the tech support number in MD and was put on hold for so long that I hung up (long distance). you guys really need a 1-800 number for tech support.
thanks, Bev

Re-read Bob's last paragraph. Based on past practices, it says all that he is gonna say (I could be wrong, but I doubt it). Also based on past practices, anyone purchasing the current version within 90 days before the new release gets the new release free. Buyers of the curent version at the Ft. Wayne FGS Conference last week were promised the new verson free when it is released. I suggest that if you plan to get TMG, so ahead and get it now.

Yes, you can use both the current and the new version on either WinXP or WinVista and swap data from one to the other (via a TMG backup file).

As for them getting an 800 number, that would cost them money and right now that is the only cost of excellent text support. If they got an 800 number, I suspect they would have to start charging for tech support after a short time -- like most other software companies.

Lee

#25 memawmaw4

memawmaw4
  • NewMembers
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:16 PM

Re-read Bob's last paragraph. Based on past practices, it says all that he is gonna say (I could be wrong, but I doubt it). Also based on past practices, anyone purchasing the current version within 90 days before the new release gets the new release free. Buyers of the curent version at the Ft. Wayne FGS Conference last week were promised the new verson free when it is released. I suggest that if you plan to get TMG, so ahead and get it now.

Yes, you can use both the current and the new version on either WinXP or WinVista and swap data from one to the other (via a TMG backup file).

As for them getting an 800 number, that would cost them money and right now that is the only cost of excellent text support. If they got an 800 number, I suspect they would have to start charging for tech support after a short time -- like most other software companies.

Lee

Lee, Terry, and Bob, thanks for the input about the v.6.12 vs waiting for the v.7
if I need any more help, I'll not hesitate to ask,
thanks allot,
Bev

#26 pktropics

pktropics
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

This illustrates another solution (about 10 minutes of my effort) that works well for US marriage style lines.

Many thanks for the tip, Robin. It had not occurred to me that the frames facility could be used in this way. It should solve the problem of symbols, at least w.r.t to box charts; though I would still like to find a way of easily inserting symbols into indented charts also.

pktropics

#27 collybs

collybs
  • Senior Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:56 PM

Many thanks for the tip, Robin. It had not occurred to me that the frames facility could be used in this way. It should solve the problem of symbols, at least w.r.t to box charts; though I would still like to find a way of easily inserting symbols into indented charts also.

pktropics

You can have symbols on an indented chart using the reference field. By using different input strings for male & female in the reference field (e.g. ~~~~~ for males ##### for females) and after outputting to your word processor changing them to the symbol required. (If you can find the symbol required in the font you are using in TMG you may be able to omit this step). Just make sure that you select refence field on the names tag on the options tag of the report definition
Peter Thompson
Bedworth
Warwickshire
UK

#28 pktropics

pktropics
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

You can have symbols on an indented chart using the reference field. By using different input strings for male & female in the reference field (e.g. ~~~~~ for males ##### for females) and after outputting to your word processor changing them to the symbol required. (If you can find the symbol required in the font you are using in TMG you may be able to omit this step). Just make sure that you select refence field on the names tag on the options tag of the report definition

Peter,

Yes, that would be one way of doing it. My preference, however, is to use the Title field, which I don't otherwise use. However, I've tried several fonts and can't get TMG to accept symbols as input. Your alternative of putting in "dummy" characters (or even Mr, Mrs, etc) and replacing in the word processor is also a possibility (I already do this to change the + sign for marriages to =, which I much prefer) for the title field, except that it then shows up on the screen and in other types of charts and reports, so unless I can find a way of inputting the symbols directly into TMG, the Title field may not be an option in the end.

pktropics

#29 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:10 PM

Maybe something could be done with a macro in your word processor. I don't think it can be done with a conventional font - but both WordPerfect and Word have an Insert > Symbol option on the Toolbar with a choice of symbol fonts. One I found in WordPerfect with the M/F symbols is called Iconic Symbols.

Assuming you are using special characters for M/F (say ~/~~) in your Title field:

A macro which uses find and replace routines for M and for F:
Steps:
1 - using 'find and replace', find special character in Title field
2 - replace with nothing
3 - Select Insert > Symbol (from Toolbar)
4 - Select appropriate font from the dropdown list, and then symbol and OK
5 - Repeat sequence until end.

This macro could also do your replace of + with = at the same time.

Virginia
Win7 Professional x64

#30 collybs

collybs
  • Senior Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:50 PM

Peter,

Yes, that would be one way of doing it. My preference, however, is to use the Title field, which I don't otherwise use. However, I've tried several fonts and can't get TMG to accept symbols as input. Your alternative of putting in "dummy" characters (or even Mr, Mrs, etc) and replacing in the word processor is also a possibility (I already do this to change the + sign for marriages to =, which I much prefer) for the title field, except that it then shows up on the screen and in other types of charts and reports, so unless I can find a way of inputting the symbols directly into TMG, the Title field may not be an option in the end.

pktropics

You could use two name styles - one including the title and one not. TMG Utilities can change the name style to the one including the title every time you want to produce a report including the symbols and you can then change the style back again afterwards.
Peter Thompson
Bedworth
Warwickshire
UK

#31 pktropics

pktropics
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:43 AM

You could use two name styles - one including the title and one not. TMG Utilities can change the name style to the one including the title every time you want to produce a report including the symbols and you can then change the style back again afterwards.

Name styles, name styles? This takes me further into unchartered waters. You don't lose the content of the Title field after you change out of it and back into it again?? I'll give it a go and see. Thanks

pktropics

#32 GenerationGoneBy

GenerationGoneBy
  • Senior Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:05 AM

Don't do that. It would be easier to create the name style with what you want in the report WITH symbols. Then when you don't want to see the symbols in reports, just edit the name style to SUPPRESS the field where you put the symbol. When you want to print the report, UNSUPPRESS that field (by editing the name style) and print.

#33 pktropics

pktropics
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:10 AM

More on Circles and Triangles Charts. Thanks to Virginia and Robin's advice, I've been able to set up a chart format which pretty well does what I need. I had to create two new flags - "male deceased" and "female deceased" - in order to distinguish living/deceased as well as male/female, and then use these as accents for four frames, each with one of the four symbols for Male-living, male-dec., female-living, female-dec. Once set-up it works OK (though it would be good not to have to have the extra set of flags - ie if you could somehow combine the existing Living Flag with the Sex flag to achieve the same result - other users may know some way of doing this?). There's one hitch with the output chart (which may not be all that evident in the attached image) - the height of the frames in the first and third generations are slightly, but noticeably, compressed?? Any ideas on why this should be??

Circles_and_Triangles_sample.jpg

pktropics

#34 RobinL

RobinL
  • Senior Members
  • 1,356 posts
  • Interests:charting, managing cultural differences in genealogical information, analysis for community and one-name studies

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:24 AM

There's one hitch with the output chart (which may not be all that evident in the attached image) - the height of the frames in the first and third generations are slightly, but noticeably, compressed?? Any ideas on why this should be??

The box height in each generation is set by the maximum of the box with the most lines of output in _that_ generation and the "minimum box height" that you set in the chart options. Therefore set the "minimum box height" to a larger number than it is at the moment. The frame is then extended or reduced from your template to go around the invisible box giving the distortion. It takes a bit of experimenting to get the best result for your own needs.
Robin Lamacraft
Adelaide, Australia

#35 pktropics

pktropics
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:28 AM

Don't do that. It would be easier to create the name style with what you want in the report WITH symbols. Then when you don't want to see the symbols in reports, just edit the name style to SUPPRESS the field where you put the symbol. When you want to print the report, UNSUPPRESS that field (by editing the name style) and print.

Yes I think this will work for me. But one thing I notice with both these options is that while the Title field switches on and off in the Details window, it stays on in both the Children and Siblings window even when suppressed? Is this usual?

pktropics

The box height in each generation is set by the maximum of the box with the most lines of output in _that_ generation and the "minimum box height" that you set in the chart options. Therefore set the "minimum box height" to a larger number than it is at the moment. The frame is then extended or reduced from your template to go around the invisible box giving the distortion. It takes a bit of experimenting to get the best result for your own needs.

Ok, that explains it. Thanks

pktropics

#36 GenerationGoneBy

GenerationGoneBy
  • Senior Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:39 AM

Look at the output templates. I don't have TMG open right now. But if in the name style window if you click on HELP, it will tell you which template goes with which name. I bet it didn't get suppressed in those templates.

We are going to get you up to super duper user fast. <G>

#37 pktropics

pktropics
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:26 AM

Look at the output templates. I don't have TMG open right now. But if in the name style window if you click on HELP, it will tell you which template goes with which name. I bet it didn't get suppressed in those templates.

We are going to get you up to super duper user fast. <G>

Yes, that fixed it OK, thanks

pktropics

#38 memawmaw4

memawmaw4
  • NewMembers
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

Bob, I wrote to you back in August and told you that I was going to order TMG 6.12 and then get the free upgrade when 7.0 comes out, and I DID go ahead and order the 6.12 today, and will await the newer version. I also ordered some of the book cd's that I thought were interesting.
if I have any problems, we will talk about them here.
thanks for the advice,
Bev memawmaw4

#39 JohnR

JohnR
  • Senior Members
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, rhododendrons, lepidoptera

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:08 AM

Can I add an "I wish" to both TMG V7.1 and SS2.5 ?

I am presently working with medieval records and families and some ancestors do appear to run with the land tenures rather than gentically. I would like to be able to reproduce the convention of dashed or dotted lines in pedigrees both in print-outs to send to my editor (human) and to my website.

A dotted/dashed pedigree line might also be helpful to those people who are constructing pedigrees of doubtful merit. I presently use a flag for these but that only helps when I am viewing in colour.

John

#40 John Cardinal

John Cardinal
  • Senior Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:48 AM

I am not familiar with the "convention of dashed or dotted lines in pedigrees" so please explain what you mean. Under what circumstances would SS produce dashed or dotted lines rather than solid lines?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users