kyproud

Finding who sources are assigned to

I'm trying to find a way to see which people are assigned to a particular source.

Example: Source number 242 is cited 8 times.

How can I see the 8 individuals who have this source attached to them?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

The List of Events will do it. Filter on "Any Citation" and then Source No in the subfield.

Also John Cardinal's TMG Utility - look under Reports.

I asked this question the other day on an elist and was told to go to Report | List of Citations and to click on Create Report. This gave me a list of Sources with every single tag (not just individual people) to which they related!

Judy, you were told "You can get of list of the use of the source by running a List of Citations report for a specific source number" (emphsis mine). That's the same thing Neil is describing, in more detail, above.

I guess I missed the specific-source-number part -- but running the report as I described gave me all the sources, which is what I actually wanted. It's nice to know this can be done for a specific source though. (I didn't save the original explanation, which is why I described what I ended up doing.)

I'm trying to find a way to see which people are assigned to a particular source.

Example: Source number 242 is cited 8 times.

How can I see the 8 individuals who have this source attached to them?

Keep in mind that sources are linked to tags, not people.

List of Citations report

Filter

Source Number = (a source number)

or use...

Source Number = [?]

(If you use the second filter, you will be prompted for the source number when you run the report.)

To create the filter...

On the report definition screen, select 'Filtered group' as the subject and click [Add]. Select the filter parts from the columns and fill in the value and click [OK] to save the filter.

I see I failed to read Neil's response carefully enough to notice he was suggesting the List of Events, rather than the List of Citations. The latter is better report for this purpose, as Jim suggests, because the List of Events will only find citations to the Event tags, omitting those attached to Name and Relationship tags.

Jim's way was the best. It took me a while to get it because I was looking for the name of the individual in the report but instead their id # was listed in parenthesis. After 6 times of pulling the same report and reading it, it dawned on me that the id number was there. DUH!!!

Thank you all for your help!!

Tim