Have a problem with adding a new person using the Add drop down or the Icon

It seems the other items on the drop down works fine and everything else in the program seems to work fine

Anybody got any suggestions ?

It did not just go bad, it has been this way since I upgraded to V7, just haven't needed it till now.

Thanks for the help

Kenny Stugart

a volga german

Have a problem with adding a new person using the Add drop down or the Icon

It seems the other items on the drop down works fine and everything else in the program seems to work fine

Anybody got any suggestions ?

It did not just go bad, it has been this way since I upgraded to V7, just haven't needed it till now.

Thanks for the help

Kenny Stugart

a volga german

Oh wow, am I getting to old for this

TMG just locks up and I cannot do anything

I have to do the old control del to shut it down and start over

Sorry for the incomplete question

Kenny

Run File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity and see if that resolves the issue.

Jim

No it did not fix it

Kenny

If you can get to the Add Person window, have you tried Setup > Reset template? Or does the lock-up occur before you get that far?

Glenn

I can get to the drop down Add Person but I'll be darned if I can find any Setup - Reset template anywhere.

Where may I find this reset thing

When I'm in the Add Person window I can add death, birth and all the other things in there except Add Person

Thanks Glenn

Kenny

Kenny,

Sorry to hear of your problem. Very strange. Could you be a little more specific on what you do and what you see?

For example, when you click the "+Add Person" button, what happens? Does a window pop open? If so, what do you do then and what happens?

Or, when you click the "Add" menu and the drop-down menu appears is the "Add Person" section shown on the menu? If so and you click on one of the "Add Person" choices, for example the last choice of "Unrelated", what happens then? Do you get a window asking the Sex of the new person? Reporting exactly what buttons or menu choices you click and exactly what happens or doesn't might help one of us users to guess what might be your problem.

Michael

When I click on "ADD Person" only or click on the icon for add person TMG freezes up

All other functions of the "ADD" drop down list works fine

I cannot add a "person" in any form. The Alt "A" > Alt "P" does not work either

but all other "ALT" functions work

A tough one huh

Thanks

Kenny

You're saying that when you click Add menu / Add Person or click on the [Add new person] toolbar button, you do not see the 'Add Person Type' screen, right?

The screen is hidden and is waiting for your input. TMG is not 'freezing up'.

At this point, you should try the Window menu / Center the current window option and that should make the 'Add Person Type' screen visible.

%%%%%%%%%%

btw... You don't typically need the 'Add Person Type' screen unless you need to add a person in a different data set. It's much faster to use the other Add options on the Add menu such as Add Wife or Add Son or Add Unrelated and bypass the Add Person Type screen.

Jim

No I see the "ADD Person"

When I click on it TMG Freezes up

Or when I click on the "Icon" on the tool bar TMG Freezes up

Thanks

Kenny

I don't think that you're reading what I wrote above.

No I see the "ADD Person"

I have no idea what that means. Please be more precise in what you write.

When I click on it TMG Freezes up

Or when I click on the "Icon" on the tool bar TMG Freezes up

Please read what I wrote above.

You're saying that when you click Add menu / Add Person or click on the [Add new person] toolbar button, you do not see the 'Add Person Type' screen, right?

No I see the "ADD Person Type" it is not shaded out

The screen is hidden and is waiting for your input. TMG is not 'freezing up'.

The screen is not hidden and is not waiting for my input, and is freezing up

At this point, you should try the Window menu / Center the current window option and that should make the 'Add Person Type' screen visible.

That did not do a darn thing but to center the current window which is not my problem

%%%%%%%%%%

btw... You don't typically need the 'Add Person Type' screen unless you need to add a person in a different data set. It's much faster to use the other Add options on the Add menu such as Add Wife or Add Son or Add Unrelated and bypass the Add Person Type screen.

I know, I have been using that method, but at my age I sometimes get to moving faster than a snails pace and hit the "Add Person Icon" on the tool bar and I lost all my speed and took 4 steps backward.

Jim

That is the best I can explain it

Thanks

Kenny

No I see the "ADD Person Type" it is not shaded out

You see the Add Person Type screen? You then click on one of the buttons? And nothing happens? The Add Person Type screen remains in view? Does the button itself respond when you click on it?

You see the Add Person Type screen? YES

You then click on one of the buttons? YES the very top of that screen" Add Person"

And nothing happens? YES It freezes at this point

The Add Person Type screen remains in view? YES it does

Does the button itself respond when you click on it? YES it causes TMG to freeze and the window remains open and nothing is shaded out

Thanks Terry

Kenny

Reply removed

Edited by ggilbert1

I have been using TMG for at about 10 years, I have added over 67,000 people in my data base all using the add new person or the add person on the add drop down, so I know what should work and what does not work and I have been involved with computers for 59 1/2 years and have built them, a little design work, installed them, maintained them, was the manager of the installation of the 1984 LA Olympic data network and data center costing a total of 67 million bucks so I do have a touch of computer savvy, not much but a little. Now that I'm getting up there why am I having to answer the same dam questions again and again.

The add person freezes the process of the program, not the computer, thus having to do a control alt delete to shut down TMG and the add new person icon, button or what ever you want to call it does the same thing IT AIN'T WORKING LIKE IT DID PRIOR TO VER 7, this is doing the same thing on my laptop which also has vista.

So at this point to save you all any of your valuable time you have remaining on this earth please do not respond to my problem, I will live with it.

I have removed the standard tool bar so I won't make the mistake of hitting that add new person button.

Thank all of you for your suggestions, time and effort

Kenny

a stubborn volga german

and darn proud of it

You then click on one of the buttons? YES the very top of that screen" Add Person"

The "Add Person" button? I don't see and "Add Person" button on the Add Person Type screen. Are you sure you are on that screen? Or is it another button you are clicking? Or are you saying you are on the Add Person screen and not the Add Person Type screen?

Does the button itself respond when you click on it? YES it causes TMG to freeze and the window remains open and nothing is shaded out

What I meant was does the button itself visually reponded - that is, does it appear to be depressed when you click it the first time?

Thanks Terry

You're welcome, Kenny. :)

I have been using TMG for at about 10 years, I have added over 67,000 people in my data base all using the add new person or the add person on the add drop down, so I know what should work and what does not work...why am I having to answer the same *** questions again and again.
Kenny,

Sorry that this is so frustrating. You are not being asked to answer the "same" questions, because both I and Terry are trying to ask a "different" question but we don't seem to be communicating, and are not getting an answer to this "different" question. Let me try with different words. We understand that when you click on the Add menu option you get a new drop-down window. We understand that you then click on the very top menu choice "Add Person". Or equivalently you click on the main toolbar button "Add Person". Now here is what is different. As you well know from your previous use of TMG, a completely new and different window "should" now open which is titled the "Add Person Type" window. Our suspicions are that this new window did open, and TMG is working and simply waiting for you to click a button on that new window. We are guessing that the problem is you cannot see that new window because it is improperly positioned completely off your screen, so you cannot proceed. To prove or disprove our suspicions please try the following: After clicking on the menu choice of "Add Person', click on the main TMG menu item called "Window". This should give you a new pull-down menu. Everything should be grey except the menu choice "Center the current window". Click that. We "believe" that the "Add Person Type" window will now be visible and you can proceed. Please try that and let us know what happens so if our guess is wrong we can try to think of something else to suggest.

Kenny

a stubborn volga german

and darn proud of it

A descendent of stubbon German ancestors, and darn proud of it ^_^

Michael

That did it, how stupid am I, well what can I say

I thank all of you for hanging in there and helping me

I apologize for last night message, my bride says its that 100% German in me, who knows

Thanks again

Kenny

DOn't worry Kenny, we all feel like that at times, and it has nothing to do with our ancestry. It has to do with those little black boxes we have invited into our lives that are "supposed" to make life easier. Glad you got it fixed.

No such thing as stupid when you haven't seen it before. Otherwise I would be calling myself stupid all the time!! Just glad one "part-German" could help a 100% one. :D