beetle3247

Multiple Copy Tags

I really like TMGv7, but I have a question concerning copying tags. When I am entering census records the tag belongs on all the family members recorded on the census form. Sometimes that can be 6, 8 or more, depending on the size of the family. Is there any way to make the Copy Tag action make multiple copies at the same time instead of having to go through the Add/Copy Tag command as many times as needed?

Sorry, but there is not, although that has been requested as a wishlist item.

Is there a reason why you don't simply attach everyone to a single tag and avoid creating all the duplicate tags?

Many users have developed custom Census tags which have the Head of Household (HOH) as the Principal on the tag and all the others in that household as Witnesses. Often these other members of the household are assigned custom roles so that both the HOH narrative and their own narratives can produce appropriate text. You might search using the term "census" on the "Sentence Structures" forum here for lots of ideas. You will find examples from users that define a general purpose single tag to use for all census records, and others that define separate tags for each year's census. This might be more useful than copying. There is no "right" way, just use whatever works best for you and produces the output you desire.

.........Is there a reason why you don't simply attach everyone to a single tag and avoid creating all the duplicate tags?

I assume that Terry means create 1 Tag with lots of witnesses. Although within TMG that is great, if you want to share your data with other people who don't have TMG, those "witness" people will lose their TAG and detail. I don't know of any upload sites (Rootsweb, ancestry, GRU, Tribal Pages, trees etc) that will import Witnesses. I know GENBOX also uses them but no other database programs.

Portability of data is an age old problem in IT. When you design the way you input your data, it can save a lot of time in the future if you consider where else you might want to use that data and how portable it is.

So I reluctantly COPY each Tag for each person. The added problem with this is that if the original memo needs updating, then they all need updating (hence the usefulness of witnesses). You can't win. If the "powers that be" got together with some new GEDCOM standards this sort of issue could easily be sorted, but as mentioned in a recent forum, no one is holding their breath!!

So being more positive, have you thought of using John Cardinal's TMG Utility. There is an option to Add Events. I've not used it myself yet, and it might be a sledgehammer to crack a nut and the memo cannot include carriage returns or tabs.

Jim Orrell

I know GENBOX also uses them but no other database programs.

RootsMagic v4 uses witnesses. Eventually, Legacy should also allow witnesses.

However, there is currently no way to move such data between programs. So, as Jim says, if moving data between programs or to GEDCOM is critical, you have no choice other than to avoid using witnesses and you need to create a tag for each individual.

I assume that Terry means create 1 Tag with lots of witnesses.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. :)

Although within TMG that is great, if you want to share your data with other people who don't have TMG, those "witness" people will lose their TAG and detail.

Here we disagree, I'm afraid. If you share your data by reliable methods, Witnesses are not a problem. GEDCOM is not, in general, reliable for anything beyond the very basics, not only because of the Witness issue but also because of many other issues. So it does not qualify as a reliable method in my view.

The methods that I find reliable are "printed" reports (either on paper or as pdf files), or better yet, websites made with Second Site. Both depict Witness information, and much more, exactly as you have entered it.

If you find the need to upload files to online services (I do to WorldConnect) I suggest limiting the data you provide to those basic types that GEDCOM supports and refer readers to you for details. Others, of course, may differ. :)

Terry,

I agree 100%. Using Second Site is an excellent tool for sharing your data. It can be done either publicly online or privately on a CD.

Although within TMG that is great, if you want to share your data with other people who don't have TMG, those "witness" people will lose their TAG and detail.

Here we disagree, I'm afraid. ....The methods that I find reliable are "printed" reports (either on paper or as pdf files), or better yet, websites made with Second Site. Both depict Witness information, and much more, exactly as you have entered it.

Sheila Altenbernd