Jump to content


Photo

Problem with Project Explorer

Project Explorer Export Focus Group

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Henning

Henning
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

I am trying to export part of my TMG data to a ged-file, but have met with problems on the way. I have used 3 methods, but they all involve the Project Explorer where I apply a filter based on a flag. At the moment that returns 7826 primary names. Now, here are the 3 methods:

1) I select all the 7826 names and export them. Result: some of the names are omitted from the resulting ged-files, but never the same.

2) I move the 7826 names to a focus group using "Add selected names ...". When I export from the focus group,  some names are omitted as before.

3) I move the 7826 names to a focus group using "Add all names ..." and export them. Everything is fine, nothing is omitted. It simply works as it should every time.

 

Perhaps there is something wrong with the selection function in the Project Explorer (you know, click on first name, hold down Shift and click on last name). Has anyone encountered this problem before?



#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Framingham, MA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

A 3rd party program such as Dropbox is interfering with the GEDCOM export. You need to determine the responsible program and disable it while doing the GEDCOM export.

 

There are other topics discussing this issue.



#3 Vera Nagel

Vera Nagel
  • Moderators
  • 1,535 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Bevern, Lower Saxony, Germany

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

There are other topics discussing this issue.

 

See i.e. here:

http://www.whollygen...showtopic=14178

or

http://www.whollygen...showtopic=15220


Thanks, Vera

Moderator of the German TMG User Group

#4 Henning

Henning
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

Well now, I have spent several days trying to solve the problem. I HAVE been through the possible solutions in this forum. None of them have worked. My solution seems to indicate that the problem does not lie with the export facility but with the Project Explorer. Hence my topic title.  



#5 Vera Nagel

Vera Nagel
  • Moderators
  • 1,535 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Bevern, Lower Saxony, Germany

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

Henning,

 

I tried to replicate what you reported using TMG's Sample Project and have to say: sorry, I can't.

 

That is: regardless which of the 3 ways/methods you listed above I use the result is always identical - all selected names are correctly exported to GEDCOM.


Thanks, Vera

Moderator of the German TMG User Group

#6 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Ranchos, New Mexico, USA
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

Henning, I tried to replicate as well. I cannot. In every previous reported case of GEDCOM not finishing, ultimately it has always been either interference from some other program, or the GEDCOM file being written to an external device rather than the main hard drive.
Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#7 Henning

Henning
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for trying, Vera and Michael

I think I have eliminated all possible external causes, GEDCOM does finish, and I am writing to the default folder on the main drive. The weird thing is that the error only occurs when I select names in the Project Explorer. If I simply export everything (not using the PE nor a focus group), there is no error. Anyway, I have found a solution that I can live with.







Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project Explorer, Export, Focus Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users