Windows 10 and TMG 9

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 slmodli

slmodli
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

I do not have the original email; however, I have tried of my name & email address. Cannot unlock.

I have a disk for the TMG 9.0 with a serial number, and the serial number for the downloaded upgrade 9.05.

I tried both numbers, still same problem.

#22 slmodli

slmodli
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:53 AM

After many permutations of the serial # I did actually submit the correct number and am now running 9.05 under win 10 correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Sherrill Modlin

#23 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

Registration information for TMG9 works with any version of TMG9. The most common problem is that people enter an email address that differs from the one that was part of the original registration information.

#24 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

The other problem is it is difficult to type in the long serial number correctly. Once you have it entered correctly, it's best to keep a copy of it, along with the correct name and email address, in a text file in the same safe place you keep your copy of the installer file. That way you can copy and paste it instead of trying to type it in.

Terry

See my Tutorials and Articles on using TMG at tmg.reigelridge.com

The Second Edition of my book, A Primer for The Master Genealogist, is still available
. For more information see my website.

#25 Pat_in_Tucson

Pat_in_Tucson
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:05 PM

I was running TMG 9.04 on my Windows 7 (forgot to get the .05). This morning, upgraded to Windows 10.

Opened up TMG, it wouldn't open. I don't really remember what the screen had on it, maybe an "unlock" screen, maybe not.

Over the past few hours I have installed 9.05 over 9.04 and also a clean install of 9.05.

In every instance, I get the unlock screen.

I complete the form with (as far as I know) the same information I have used w/WhollyGenes for the past decade, including the case (caps or lower case or mixed).

Only the serial # is different, and I used the SN from the 9.04 I installed last fall.

I have opened the usual way, and also as administrator.

In every case, I get a failure notice.

Mostly it opens up as a 'read only' file.

I'm most perplexed about this.

Any ideas?

#26 Pat_in_Tucson

Pat_in_Tucson
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:41 PM

I should clarify that after the failure notice, I click on the message and THEN it opens in Read Only mode.

#27 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:58 AM

You are not being clear about what your problem is. You can't unlock?

Unlocking requires the name, email address and registration number that were in the TMG9 registration email that you received from Wholly Genes.

There are issues that some users who updated to Windows 10 have seen regarding file permissions. I posted a couple of links regarding that a day or so ago.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/11933-problem-permissions-modify-files-programs-folder.html​

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/14573-windows-10-not-allowing-save-certain-folders-admin-account.html​

#28 Pat_in_Tucson

Pat_in_Tucson
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

Jim

When I put in the information for the unlock screen. The same name and email address I've used for a decade, plus the last registration number I have, from .04, I get a screen that says it is incorrect and that it will open in read-only mode, and that the next time I open up it will ask for the "correct" information in order to unlock.

I just looked up the email, dated 2/9/2014, and the information I'm putting is is exactly what is given in the email.

Pat

#29 Pat_in_Tucson

Pat_in_Tucson
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:27 AM

Well, tried again this morning and IT OPENED!

Just in case someone else has this problem -- outside of I rebooted the system between the previous and last tries -- is that I noticed when I copy/pasted the code, the cursor was not at the end of the line. I fiddled with it, thinking I had added a space in copying. Whatever, it worked!

Jim, thanks for your trying to help!

Pat

#30 janelle

janelle
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

I just installed Windows 10 and my TMG 8 seems to work fine, but when I start it and  choose a project to open, a message comes up that it is installing Microsoft Publisher 10.  Now my Microsoft Publisher was installed long ago and works just fine.  I close the window that says in is installing, it pops one more time saying it is installing, and when I close it the second time then TMG works fine.  Anyone else running in to this?  Have you discovered a fix?

#31 goldsmith

goldsmith
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

Is there a difference between .exe and the installer?  I can't find installer (I downloaded TMG.09 and TMG.05, am using .05.)  I want to save everything I should to a thumb drive before I upgrade to Windows 10.

Currently 9.05 will not allow me to copy my Registration # when I go to Help.

#32 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

An exe is simply an executable file for Windows. There are thousands of them on your Windows installation, including the main program for TMG, TMG9.exe.

The TMG installer is also an exe file. For example, the installer for TMG9 US edition is tmg9setup.exe. You should make sure you have a copy of this in a safe place, along with a copy of the registration number, in case you need to re-install and the installer is no longer available.

No, you can't copy the registration number from the Help > About screen. But you can by using Help > Technical Support, and on the screen that opens click the Trouble Report button at the bottom. The text file that is created includes near the top the serial number, which you can then copy and save to a safe place.

Terry

See my Tutorials and Articles on using TMG at tmg.reigelridge.com

The Second Edition of my book, A Primer for The Master Genealogist, is still available
. For more information see my website.

#33 JohnR

JohnR
  • Senior Members
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, rhododendrons, lepidoptera

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

I have a strange problem with TMG and Windows 10 which I have raised with Microsoft support and I am just checking here to see if anyone has had a similar problem. 

Upon opening either TMG or Second Site,  Windows installer tries to call Microsoft Office Single Image 2010, I have another programme in which upon opening normally Windows Installer pops up and tries to run a non existant Nuance PDF viewer.  Clicking through Cancel eventually lets me run the programme.

MS support have taken the matter on and are due to have a look at the problem later this week.

#34 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:32 PM

JohnR -

Those are known and not uncommon occurrences.  Google for those software titles / Win10 install to see some suggested fixes.

Virginia

Win7 Professional x64

#35 JohnR

JohnR
  • Senior Members
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, rhododendrons, lepidoptera

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:24 AM

Thanks Virginia, I have had a look but all the problems/ solutions seem to refer to the error happening when opening Office/ word/ excel and other nasty MS offerings and not nice old TMG, SS, and my lepidoptera database.

#36 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

Unless the problem is triggered by the MSI installer (used by TMG) rather than being limited to MS programs.  OTOH, yours is the first report I've seen of this problem with Win 10 and TMG.

Virginia

Win7 Professional x64

#37 Pat_in_Tucson

Pat_in_Tucson
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:11 AM

On 2 September, I made several attempts to unlock my TMG 9, eventually, and with no apparent differences in the items or the case of the items used in the unlock screen, it opened.

It opened for a few weeks. Then, about every third day, I would have to unlock it again.

Yesterday, it refused to take the entries, and gave me the "read only" screen.  They were copied from the same text file I had been using since September, no changes.

I've tried every way I can to make this work. Ideas?

Running Win 10 home /64 bit. I can't find the information on updating Win 10, but I'll bet it has.

Pat Dunford

#38 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

You've tried right-clicking on the TMG shortcut, selecting 'Run as administrator', unlocking, exiting from TMG after closing the unlock screen, and then running TMG normally?

If that doesn't work, contact me directly by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

#39 brucen

brucen
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

I had to purchase a new computer as a result of a hard drive failure.  I had backed up my Master Genealogist program and files to an external hard drive.  My new computer has Windows 10.  I was able to copy my Master Genealogist files including the installation program to my new computer.  But, when I try to open Master Genealogist, I either get an opportunity for a trial version or, if I try hard enough with the installation program, it asks me for the serial number of my account.  I do not know the serial number since that was on my dead computer.  Is it possible to obtain this serial number many years after purchase of the program?

Bruce

#40 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

You understand that TMG support ended at the end of last year?

Write support@whollygenes.com and Dorothy may respond with the registration information that you need. Give her a while since she is doing this on her own time.

If you get the registration information, record it so that you will have it in the future. You should also back up the installer off of your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users