mgarrison

Which census source type?

For those of you that have British Census records which census type are you using?

I am finding that none of the pre-defined ones have enough fields for the following info:

1861 England Census for George Luke Clark Household, RG9/36 Registration district:Chelsea Sub-registration district:Chelsea North East ED, institution, or vessel:1 Folio:7 Page:11 Household schedule number:63 GSU Number:542561

It seems that I would need the following fields:

Record Type: 1861 British Census

Household: George Luke Clark

Film: RG9//26 (GSU#542561)

Census Place: Registration District, Subdistrict

Referece: Enumeration District, Folio, Page, Household

So did you make a custom source type or use an existing one, and if so, how?

Marina

For those of you that have British Census records which census type are you using?

I am finding that none of the pre-defined ones have enough fields for the following info:

1861 England Census for George Luke Clark Household, RG9/36 Registration district:Chelsea Sub-registration district:Chelsea North East  ED, institution, or vessel:1  Folio:7  Page:11 Household schedule number:63 GSU Number:542561

It seems that I would need the following fields:

Record Type: 1861 British Census

Household: George Luke Clark

Film: RG9//26 (GSU#542561)

Census Place: Registration District, Subdistrict

Referece: Enumeration District, Folio, Page, Household

So did you make a custom source type or use an existing one, and if so, how?

Marina

Marina,

I use the standard tags (although I have amended the sentences).

I would record the address 33 Cheyne Walk, Chelsea London, Middlesex for example.

George Luke clark would be Principal 1 whom I would make Head of Household. All the other occupanys i would record as witnesses with the relevant Role, Wife, Son, Daughter etc.

The source would be 1861 census with citation details of RG9/26/7/11 and the place, Chelsea London. That is sufficient to locate the record again.

The Citation Memo is a transcription off the household.

On each person in the Memo field I record 4 things

Marriage status, age, Occupation and place of birth viz

married||43||butler||Wallington Surrey. these are then used in my sentence structure e.g

[W] was listed as the butler in the household of [R:Head Of Household] in the 1861 census <[L]>. <[W] was recorded as aged [WM2]>< born in [WM4]><[WM1],><and with an occupation of [WM3]><[M0]>

That's my way. Until I change it :angel:

Marina

I do pretty much the same as Jeff, except I put the page number after the PRO ref number. Unlike Jeff I do not (as yet!) split my witness memos and I put occupation information in an occupation Tag, citing the same census source.

As Jeff says, until I change it :D

Les

Marina

I do pretty much the same as Jeff, except I put the page number after the PRO ref number. Unlike Jeff I do not (as yet!) split my witness memos and I put occupation information in an occupation Tag, citing the same census source.

As Jeff says, until I change it  :D

Les

Yes I had occupation as a separate tag but wanted to create a better sentence from the census itself.

So at the moment already input census is under the old style

XXX apeared in the household of YYY in the 1861 census.

and

On 7th april 1861 XXX was employed as a butler.

Newly input is in the new style as previously stated which is, in the long run, more flexible for amending/tweaking.

I do have some cleaning up to convert old style to new.

:velho:

Jeff

That has given me some ideas. Your approach will help stop the repetitive nature of the census and occupation Tags in reports. It would also speed up data entry.

Les

I do something similar as well using custom sentences and sources although I do not use witnesses and have a tag each.

The sentence being

[:CR:]Census: [D] enumerated as [M1] at <[L]> described as <[M2], >aged [M3]< and [M6]>. <Occupation was "[M4]".> <Birthplace was [M5].> <[M7]>

M1 - Name

M2 - Marital status

M3 - Age

M4 - Occupation

M5 - Birthplace

M6 - Handicap (Blind, deaf etc

M7 - Anything else worth noting.

The source output being

[CENSUS YEAR] UK Census enumerated in the household of [CD1] with a relationship described as[CD2]<.National Archives Reference [CD3]>< . [CD4]>< . ([CREF])><. [iTAL:](for copy of page see folio [CREF])[:ITAL]>

CD1 - Head of Household name

CD2 - Relationship

CD3 - Piece folio and page number (e. g. RG9/1232/65/21)

CD4 - Any other comments about the source (e.g. very faint writing or occupation illegible etc)

CREF - Any notes about conclusions I have drawn and why

Marina,

I use the standard tags (although I have amended the sentences).

I would record the address 33 Cheyne Walk, Chelsea London, Middlesex for example.

George Luke clark would be Principal 1 whom I would make Head of Household. All the other occupanys i would record as witnesses with the relevant Role, Wife, Son, Daughter etc.

The source would be 1861 census with citation details of RG9/26/7/11 and the place, Chelsea London. That is sufficient to locate the record again.

The Citation Memo is a transcription off the household.

On each person in the Memo field I record 4 things

Marriage status, age, Occupation and place of birth viz

married||43||butler||Wallington Surrey. these are then used in my sentence structure e.g

[W] was listed as the butler in the household of [R:Head Of Household] in the 1861 census <[L]>. <[W] was recorded as aged [WM2]>< born in [WM4]><[WM1],><and with an occupation of [WM3]><[M0]>

That's my way. Until I change it :angel:

Jeff,

I am fairly new to TMG and have about 200 UK census entries to enter, so I wanted to understand & get things right before starting.

All the various methods mentioned have given me plenty to think about and open endless possibilities. The one area I would like some more detail is you state in your reply dated 19th January "The Citation Memo is a transcription off the household."

How do you format that information to make it readable, I have tried cutting and pasting from Excel & formatted text but it always looks a mess. I would be very grateful if one of you experienced users could steer me in the right direction.

Regards,

Mike

Jeff,

I am fairly new to TMG and have about 200 UK census entries to enter, so I wanted to understand & get things right before starting.

All the various methods mentioned have given me plenty to think about and open endless possibilities. The one area I would like some more detail is you state in your reply dated 19th January "The Citation Memo is a transcription off the household."

How do you format that information to make it readable, I have tried cutting and pasting from Excel & formatted text but it always looks a mess. I would be very grateful if one of you experienced users could steer me in the right direction.

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

I type in the transcription thus

John T Piper, Head, M, 32, Hairdresser, South Shields Durham

Anna, Wife, M, 29, , South Shields Durham

Rebecca, Sister in law, S, 13, , South Shields Durham

i don't know whether you could paste directly from Excel. you may get close to this format by saving the spreadsheet as a csv file but would then need to copy and paste the relevant sections.

Thank you Peter, for sharing how you enter your census information!! I like your way of doing it... withOUT the witness tags, because we all know that the witness tags won't export to GEDCOM files for use elsewhere. This way of input will work for exporting to GEDCOM, and it's SIMPLE. I've read several different ways of doing this, including making several tags (one for each census year) and roles, and a ton of other stuff, all way too complicated for what I wanted. I never thought of putting all the "extra" info in the memo field!!

Although the memo field can be exported to GEDCOM, it's not formatted very well for other programs (because of the "||" separators), so I'm just going to run a script on the GEDCOM to get it into the sentence structure.

So cool! I've been banging my head against the computer screen, trying to figure out a way to do this, and you've turned on the light for me!

Thanks Peter!

Kathy

I do something similar as well using custom sentences and sources although I do not use witnesses and have a tag each.

The sentence being

[:CR:]Census: [D] enumerated as [M1] at <[L]> described as <[M2], >aged [M3]< and [M6]>. <Occupation was "[M4]".> <Birthplace was [M5].> <[M7]>

M1 - Name

M2 - Marital status

M3 - Age

M4 - Occupation

M5 - Birthplace

M6 - Handicap (Blind, deaf etc

M7 - Anything else worth noting.

The source output being

[CENSUS YEAR] UK Census enumerated in the household of [CD1] with a relationship described as[CD2]<.National Archives Reference [CD3]>< . [CD4]>< . ([CREF])><. [iTAL:](for copy of page see folio [CREF])[:ITAL]>

CD1 - Head of Household name

CD2 - Relationship

CD3 - Piece folio and page number (e. g. RG9/1232/65/21)

CD4 - Any other comments about the source (e.g. very faint writing or occupation illegible etc)

CREF - Any notes about conclusions I have drawn and why