DeeWee

Exclude part of memo

Hi,

Is there a possibility to exclude part of a memo from printing in a report. I tried "-", but this seems to work only for the entire memo. The {} on the other hand exludes the text from the person view as well. How do I get the whole memo contents in the person view and only part of it in a printed report?

A second question concerns the concequence of a program upgrade on languages. What exactly can get lost after an upgrade. Does an upgrade affect tags or sentences or anything else? I use a dutch version of TMG and upgraded 2 times already (overwriting the language), but nothing seems to be lost. This is certainly due to the fact that I didn't make a lot of changes yet (being a relatively new user), but I'm not sure I understand what I should pay attention to when upgrading in the future.

Dirk

A second question concerns the concequence of a program upgrade on languages. What exactly can get lost after an upgrade. Does an upgrade affect tags or sentences or anything else? I use a dutch version of TMG and upgraded 2 times already (overwriting the language), but nothing seems to be lost. This is certainly due to the fact that I didn't make a lot of changes yet (being a relatively new user), but I'm not sure I understand what I should pay attention to when upgrading in the future.

Hi, Dirk,

Terry Reigel recently posted a couple of great, new articles dealing with TMG's language capabilities - see http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Language.htm

Here you should find the answers to your question.

Hi,

Is there a possibility to exclude part of a memo from printing in a report. I tried "-", but this seems to work only for the entire memo. The {} on the other hand exludes the text from the person view as well. How do I get the whole memo contents in the person view and only part of it in a printed report?

Dirk

Try [HID:].....[:HID]

Dick

A second question concerns the concequence of a program upgrade on languages. What exactly can get lost after an upgrade. Does an upgrade affect tags or sentences or anything else? I use a dutch version of TMG and upgraded 2 times already (overwriting the language), but nothing seems to be lost.

As Vera says, that's covered in some detail in my new language articles.

The short answer is that the upgrade replaces the translation tables - the list of phrases TMG uses mainly to display all the screens in your choosen language. Those tables also control some of the standard phrases use in reports, things like "children of ... were," names of months, automatic pronouns and prepositions, etc.

So, you need to be concerned only if you have edited those phrases, using the File > Language > Customize command. Or, if you have created your own new "Language." The article talks about how to deal with that case. If you have not made any edits to the translation tables, you should allow the updates in order to receive the updated translations from the program update.

Tags and Sentences are part of your Project data, and are not involved with the translation tables which are updated when you do a program update. So you don't need to worry about the updates causing any problems with them.

The suggestion to try [HID:].....[:HID] doesn't help, I'm afraid. According to the help instructions text controlled by this code will never print on any report output, whether to screen, file, or printer.

As far as the language issue is concerned, I now understand what I have to do, as there is no need to be concerned about Tags and sentences (I never made any edits to the translation tables). But I will certainly read Terry's articles. I already read some of them before and they are really excellent (i.e. very easy to read, but nevertheless very informative).

Dirk

The suggestion to try [HID:].....[:HID] doesn't help, I'm afraid. According to the help instructions text controlled by this code will never print on any report output, whether to screen, file, or printer.

I found out how to do it: by splitting the memo field (using ||), the second part is excluded from the report when preceeded by "-"

Dirk

Hi,

I thought I had the solution by splitting up the memo field, separating the parts by "||" and putting "-" at the beginning of the second part. However, what I notice is that the second part of my memo (behind the "||") is never printed in my individual detail report. Why is this?

What I actually want to have is a memo for (e.g.) a Death tag with in my memo 1) the hour of death (to be viewed in the person view and to be printed in the report) and the cause of death (to be viewed in the person view but not to be printed in the person detail report). How can this be acomplished?

Dirk

I thought I had the solution by splitting up the memo field, separating the parts by "||" and putting "-" at the beginning of the second part. However, what I notice is that the second part of my memo (behind the "||") is never printed in my individual detail report. Why is this?

What I actually want to have is a memo for (e.g.) a Death tag with in my memo 1) the hour of death (to be viewed in the person view and to be printed in the report) and the cause of death (to be viewed in the person view but not to be printed in the person detail report). How can this be acomplished?

Dirk

Have you tried using<[M1]> <[M2]> in your sentence? You should see both memos on person view but only the one without the exclusion marker printed in the report (provided you have not selected "show excluded data" in the report definition). I use this approach a lot to control what is printed.

Les Wylde

Have you tried using<[M1]> <[M2]> in your sentence? You should see both memos on person view but only the one without the exclusion marker printed in the report (provided you have not selected "show excluded data" in the report definition). I use this approach a lot to control what is printed.

Les Wylde

I know you can use <[M1]> <[M2]> (though I never did yet) but doesn't this only apply to sentences in narrative reports? My problem is to exclude certain memo information (from reports only) when printing an individual detail or family report, which is just a list of tags with the corresponding information?

Dirk

Dirk

Have you selected the option on the report to select the sentence memo?

On the Report Definition screen select options.

Then select the miscellaneous tab.

Ensure the "Embed Sentence Memo tag is selected.

Have you selected the option on the report to select the sentence memo?

On the Report Definition screen select options.

Then select the miscellaneous tab.

Ensure the "Embed Sentence Memo tag is selected.

This is selected. I do see the contents of my memo if the memo contains only one part. If it contains two parts separated by "||" I see only the first part . The part after "||" is not printed. If I want to print a non-narrative report and I have a memo with several parts separated by "||", do I have to use [M1], [M2] as well or is this only for narrative reports. How does it work then for non-narrative reports?

Dirk

This is selected. I do see the contents of my memo if the memo contains only one part. If it contains two parts separated by "||" I see only the first part . The part after "||" is not printed. If I want to print a non-narrative report and I have a memo with several parts separated by "||", do I have to use [M1], [M2] as well or is this only for narrative reports. How does it work then for non-narrative reports?

Dirk

Dirk

I can get it to work for both the Individual Detail report and for the Family Group Sheet. You will need to have <[M1].> <[M2.> in the sentence definition. I am able to set up a sentence so I can print both parts of the memo or just the one part without the exclusion marker.

So for example if I have "-He stayed at school until he was 18||He was always top of the class in Physics" (without quotations), I can get the second half to print if I do not select "show excluded data" and both to print if I do select it. I also select "embed sentence memo" and under Tags I deselect "restrict to BMDB events" on Family Group Sheet and on Individual detail I select Roles.

You may need to play around a bit to get it exactly as you would like but in principle it seems to work even for non-narrative reports.

Les

Dirk

I can get it to work for both the Individual Detail report and for the Family Group Sheet. You will need to have <[M1].> <[M2.> in the sentence definition. I am able to set up a sentence so I can print both parts of the memo or just the one part without the exclusion marker.

So for example if I have "-He stayed at school until he was 18||He was always top of the class in Physics" (without quotations), I can get the second half to print if I do not select "show excluded data" and both to print if I do select it. I also select "embed sentence memo" and under Tags I deselect "restrict to BMDB events" on Family Group Sheet and on Individual detail I select Roles.

You may need to play around a bit to get it exactly as you would like but in principle it seems to work even for non-narrative reports.

Les

Les,

Now it works. The crucial sentence in your message was: "You will need to have <[M1].> <[M2.> in the sentence definition." I thought <[M1]> a.s.o. was only relevant for sentences in narrative reports. Obviously, they are also required for non-narrative reports. Many thanks!

Dirk

Les,

Now it works. The crucial sentence in your message was: "You will need to have <[M1].> <[M2.> in the sentence definition." I thought <[M1]> a.s.o. was only relevant for sentences in narrative reports. Obviously, they are also required for non-narrative reports. Many thanks!

Dirk

Dirk

Glad to hear it is now working as you would like. Sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error but you can usually make it do what you want.

Les