Shaundm

Exhibits, Internal or External

How do people save their exhibits, internally or externally.

Do you copy the files and have a special folder called TMG exhibits, so you know what ones are attached? Obviously this will take up more memory space and have duplicate files, etc..

External so they can be used with SecondSite. Directory tree similar to Teresa's. Also using the Alternate Image Folder feature in SS for smaller/lower resolution versions of images for website. :evo:

I prefer external.

Internal images can make an enormous difference in the size of backups.

Plus, I personally prefer maintaining and editing my images with a bona-fide image editing tool. I keep the master images in a couple of very safe locations, one on an external hard drive and backed up on CD. Then I place copies only of the master images in a folder that is accessable to TMG.

I use external and have 1 directory for them. I have a completely different directory that I use for files that are not yet exhibits, so once the file hits exhibit status it just needs to be copied or moved. I use the filename to tell me what I need to know about the exhibit.

Edited by Excalibur

I wish to be able to transfer my project to another family member with TMG installed. Am I right in thinking that the exhibits will need to be internal, for the family member to be able to see the exhibits?

Providing both you and the family member are running the same version of TMG you probably want to transfer using the backup .sqz file. When you do the backup for transfer you can indicate to include the external exhibits in the backup. When the backup is restored on the family member's system the external exhibits will also be restored.

I personally prefer internal. I dont really care about the size of the backups, I like the convenience of having everything included in the family tree without having to set up external directories.

I personally prefer internal. I dont really care about the size of the backups, I like the convenience of having everything included in the family tree without having to set up external directories.

That's fine but be aware that Second Site requires external exhibits if you ever plan to use Second Site to build a web page.

How do people save their exhibits, internally or externally.

Do you copy the files and have a special folder called TMG exhibits, so you know what ones are attached? Obviously this will take up more memory space and have duplicate files, etc..

Each of my projects have a separate folder - the name of the project. Within that folder, I have four subfolders: 1. Data 2. Notes 3. Photos 4. Reports.

The contents of each are pretty self-explanatory. I put all my pictures in the photo folder, as external files. The same with text exhibits, which go in the Notes folder. If I want to back it up, or share the file, I can just copy the entire project folder, and it will copy the notes, exhibits, and pictures along with the datafiles.

There isn't any duplication of files, so there's no extra memory used. And it keeps down the size of my backup files. If you have lots of exhibits, and they are internal can make the backup sizes grow at an alarming rate.

Edited by Julie Kidd