fraymel

Adding an exhibit to multiple people at the same time

Is there an easy way to add a photo to multiple people at once? I have quite a few group photos that when I add I have to go through the process of adding the photo, description, and caption over and over again for each person in the photo. It can be quite cumbersome. Am I missing something easy? or is this a true feature request? Ideally there would be a multi-pick list where I could add the photo to as many people as necessary at the same time.

Currently, an exhibit can be added to only one focus at a time so there's no way to do what you wish.

Note that you can drag and drop exhibit files such as images from Windows Explorer to the Exhibit Log. That's one way to speed up adding new exhibits.

Currently, an exhibit can be added to only one focus at a time so there's no way to do what you wish.

Note that you can drag and drop exhibit files such as images from Windows Explorer to the Exhibit Log. That's one way to speed up adding new exhibits.

Thanks for the answer Jim. Is there a proper way to formally request this as a feature in the next version?

Sorry. It was too late last night. Shiela is putting you on the right track. The custom tag also can be in the History group so that a principal is not required.

Guest Michael Dietz

An advantage to the using of witnesses to have the exhibit visible for multiple individuals is there is only one copy of the exhibit, not one for each individual. I do this with census pages, there is a Head of Household tag with the exhibit, the members of the household are witnesses to the HOH tag. Works great.

Thanks everyone for the great advice; however, this has led to a new issue for me. Last night I created a tag type of 'Photo' as suggested, and then I was able to add multiple witnesses to an exhibit. This all seemed to work fine. The problem is getting this to export to GEDCOM. For the 'Photo' Tag Type that I created, there is an area which help defines how the tag will output to GEDCOM. For this example, let's say I set the tag to PHOT (although I tried several things here). When I exported a GEDCOM file, the tag was no where to be found in the file.

I have ensured that the tag type 'Photo' is selected for export in export settings, but no PHOT tag shows up in the GEDCOM.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a setting somewhere that I have not set?

Thanks,

All custom tag types should be exported as the GEDCOM tag 1 EVEN 2 TYPE and are assigned that setting when you create them.

You need to change the GEDCOM export setting for your PHOT tag type back to 1 EVEN 2 TYPE.

Also, note that witness links are not exported to GEDCOM since the GEDCOM specs do not support witness links. For the PHOT tag to be exported, the tag type cannot be in the History group and will only be exported for the individuals linked to the tag as P1 and P2.

You have run into a couple of clashes between the limits of GEDCOM and the possibilities of TMG.

... let's say I set the tag to PHOT ... When I exported a GEDCOM file, the tag was no where to be found in the file.
GEDCOM is a precisely defined standard. There are only certain specific tags used in the Lineage-Linked GEDCOM standard and what may be placed in them is very specific for each. There is no PHOT tag in GEDCOM. You can map a TMG tag into one of the very limited number of pre-defined GEDCOM tags in the manner you outlined, or you can (and should) do what Jim suggested for custom TMG tags that do not map into a standard GEDCOM tag. That is the purpose of the predefined GEDCOM general purpose EVEN tag.

I will insert here my standard "rant" :rolleyes: that GEDCOM is a very limited and old standard and many of the more valuable features of modern genealogy software systems like TMG simply cannot be expressed in this old standard. Are you really sure you want or need to export to GEDCOM?

All custom tag types should be exported as the GEDCOM tag 1 EVEN 2 TYPE and are assigned that setting when you create them.

You need to change the GEDCOM export setting for your PHOT tag type back to 1 EVEN 2 TYPE.

Also, note that witness links are not exported to GEDCOM since the GEDCOM specs do not support witness links. For the PHOT tag to be exported, the tag type cannot be in the History group and will only be exported for the individuals linked to the tag as P1 and P2.

You have run into a couple of clashes between the limits of GEDCOM and the possibilities of TMG.

Thanks for the advice Jim. I will try to move this tag out of the history group later tonight and see how it works :-)

... let's say I set the tag to PHOT ... When I exported a GEDCOM file, the tag was no where to be found in the file.
GEDCOM is a precisely defined standard. There are only certain specific tags used in the Lineage-Linked GEDCOM standard and what may be placed in them is very specific for each. There is no PHOT tag in GEDCOM. You can map a TMG tag into one of the very limited number of pre-defined GEDCOM tags in the manner you outlined, or you can (and should) do what Jim suggested for custom TMG tags that do not map into a standard GEDCOM tag. That is the purpose of the predefined GEDCOM general purpose EVEN tag.

I will insert here my standard "rant" :rolleyes: that GEDCOM is a very limited and old standard and many of the more valuable features of modern genealogy software systems like TMG simply cannot be expressed in this old standard. Are you really sure you want or need to export to GEDCOM?

Michael,

Unfortunately, I use TMG for my primary database, but I have chosen to use TNG for my web interface. My only connection between the two is GEDCOM.

-Fred

Guest Michael Dietz

Fred:

I am the other Michael in Albuquerque, the one with the black eye hocky player.

In your last post you stated you were using TNG for your web interface. If I may ask, what is TNG?

Thank you

Mike

Fred:

I am the other Michael in Albuquerque, the one with the black eye hocky player.

In your last post you stated you were using TNG for your web interface. If I may ask, what is TNG?

Thank you

Mike

Sorry for speaking in acronyms.

TMG = The Master Genealogist

TNG = The Next Generation of Genealogy Website building (http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php)

While I have found TMG to be one of the best interfaces for storing and recording family tree data, TNG is an amazing web interface tool (at least in my opinion)

-Fred

Fred,

Obviously using TNG is your choice, and your previous postings have explained your good and valid reasons for that. However, since you are forced to use GEDCOM as the data transfer mechanism between the two there are a number of features in TMG that simply will not transfer to TNG because of the inability to define them in the limited GEDCOM standard (where they would transfer to SecondSite). This Photo tag is simply an example.

It was a great idea to create tag into which group photos can be connected. Then all individuals can be connected as a wittness into this tag.

Unfortunatelly, in Journal report this photo will show multiple times. It will show up with each individual (all wittnesses). Can this be avoided so that one photo is only shown once?

Peter

Peter,

You could, in theory, make the one person who you want the exhibit to appear for a Principal, and all others Witnesses, then set the Journal to not display Witnessed events. But I doubt you would want to do that because all other witnessed events will also be excluded.

An alternate suggestion is to create two different tag types for photos - one to be used in Journals, and the other for all other persons. Then exclude the later tag type from the Journal report. That would mean you have to attach the photo to two tags - one for those people who you want to have the photo in Journals, and the second for all others.

Peter,

You could, in theory, make the one person who you want the exhibit to appear for a Principal, and all others Witnesses, then set the Journal to not display Witnessed events. But I doubt you would want to do that because all other witnessed events will also be excluded.

An alternate suggestion is to create two different tag types for photos - one to be used in Journals, and the other for all other persons. Then exclude the later tag type from the Journal report. That would mean you have to attach the photo to two tags - one for those people who you want to have the photo in Journals, and the second for all others.

Terry,

thank you again Terry!

There might also be an easier solution which I am currently testing ie. using exclusion mark in wittness sentence. Actually my wittness sentence for "photo tag" is just "-".

From Journal report point of view it seems to work quite ok and sentence can be built based on attached people (=wittnesses), "People in photo are...".

Maybe you can comment if there is a risk hidden somewhere?

I also use Second Site, however SS will remove those sentences aswell. In SS I use linked images on events so in SS output with all photos would be appreciated; so there is some more testing to be done.

Merry Christmas!

Peter