Arockef

Failure during upgrade to TMG 8.01

I launched TMG v. 8.0 this evening, and received a screen informing me to upgrade to version 8.01. I followed the instructions to perform the upgrade.

Near the end of the upgrading process, I received a message saying that C:windowsSysWOW64bbLitViewV.ocx failed to register and to contact support personnel.

I clicked on cancel and the screen went away, and a TMG screen appeared telling me that the upgrade was finished.

I tried to launch the program and got a message that c:windowssystem32bblistviewv.ocx could not be found.

I went to the Whollygenes site and clicked the link to download the TMG software, and reinstalled it. The problem seems to be resolved as the program now opens.

Edited by Arockef

The second attempt has worked to register the files in every case that I'm aware of. The same happened to me tonight installing under Win8 x64. I've installed many times under Win7 x64 and never encountered this issue.

To Jim Byram -

What do you mean by "the second attempt"? The second attempt to install the 8.01 upgrade? I can't figure out how to do that - I searched on the whollygenes website and can't find the upgrade there. And since I can't get TMG to run, I can't access the update item on the Help menu.

I have Windows 7 and got the same error message as Arockef

You can download the installer from the Wholly Genes web site. Click on "download free trial"

Robert

I also tried to update 8.0 to 8.01

It has sort of resolved itself, but mutated from the 64 bit version I was using in Windows 7 to a 32 bit version.

While trying to troubleshoot the version with OCX not found as above, Windows 7 is not listed as one of the versions for compatability. Vista Service Pack 2 is the newest.

In other words, how do I get Windows 7 back to the 64 bit version.

I ran the tmg8setup again, but it still kept the 32 bit version, and says 8.01.

TMG 7 & 8 are both 32-bit programs. Most software (except for drivers and the OS itself) on 64-bit computers are still 32 bit. The 64-bit operating systems have what was called a "thunking" [sic!] layer which permits them to operate.

R.

This morning, I found the option that said to install previous versions. There weren't any previous versions available, but there was a Windows 7 compatability listed. When trying to troubleshoot above, there was no Windows 7 compatability available.

Dear retsof,

I think we are having terminological problems. If what you said yesterday, "I ran the tmg8setup again, but it still kept the 32 bit version, and says 8.01" is correct, and you have only one copy of TMG8 on your machine, then you are where you ought to be. I do not understand "the option that said to install previous versions." So far as I know there is no such option. And where is "Windows 7 compatibility listed?"

Robert

Windows 7 compatability is listed as a choice if you pick the install option to install a previous version (from a Windows backup).

When picking a version from the troubleshoot, Windows 7 compatability is not listed.

It was getting late last night, but I think I saw when picking Vista Service Pack 2 compatability that it insisted on going ahead with Windows XP compatability.

Something is still ugly somewhere in V8.01. I have a project restore issue in another thread, but I won't repeat it here.

It has probably been a 32 bit version all along, even on a 64 bit OS, so ignore that thought.

Edited by retsof

I don't think you should have to set compatibility for TMG and I certainly would not use the Windows "restore previous version" function. If you have 8.01 installed and running you should be OK, except for issues internal to TMG -- those Windows functions just add additional uncertainty to the trouble-shooting process.

Robert

I'm running Win7-64bit.

I selected "check for an update" in The Master Genealogist v8 start menu. I walked through the process and during installation it came up with the exact message that opened this thread. It had a -214xxxxxxxx number listed also in the error message, but I did not get this copied down. I selected the "ignore" option at the error message, and the install completed "successfully."

I then started the program, and it worked fine until it tried to open a project, then I received a message that said: "Cannot load 32-bit DLL c:windowssystem32bblistviewv.ocx. 94 TMGAPPOBJ.REGISTERCONTROL

I then clicked 'ignore' at the above listed error message and got a subsequent message: the operating sytem fialed to register and OCX used by TMG. You need to exist the program and run TMG once as administrator (right-Click on the program shortcut and select "Run as administrator"). After TMG has been started once running as administrator, you can exit and, thereafter, can run the program normally. [ OK ] (click OK and the program exits)

I clicked OK, and then followed that procedure. While running as administrator, I still get the same message "Cannot load 32-bit DLL....." as above.

I will try a reinstall from the full download.

NOTE: when the update ran, it asked and I allowed administrator access during the install.

Note to above: I did do a custom install during the update to 8.01, but I did not change any of the options.

Continuing troubleshooting: I downloaded the version from the website, naming it and saving it at "TMGv8.01..." (shouldn't it say this already to avoid confusion?)

I then ran the setup program as administrator. I selected the "repair" option, and that completed successfully (I think it said something like "reconfigured successfully")

I then opened TMG and it did open properly for the first time since I had attempted the update to 8.01.

So as of this time, the problem is solved, although not without considerable extra time and aggravation.

I have also met this problem, exactly as described above. And my situation is complicated in that I run the UK version - hence downloading the trial version from the website is of no use to me as this is the U.S./Global version. So am writing this partially as a warning to other U.K. version users, and also to ask is there any likelihood of a fix in the near future? I should mention that to resolve the problem I did a system restore and have simply continued to run V8.0 - but obviously this is not ideal when a newer version exists.

Tom,

The UK edition is also available on the website, here. You can find it from the main page by clicking the "Full Description" link, then on that page the link to "UK Edition." Near the top of the page about the UK Edition there is a link to "30-day trial" which provides the UK version.

Terry,

Thank you for putting me right on this - I should really have spotted that myself - the only excuse being the frustration suffered when all went 'belly-up."

Thanks again - I expect this to work but will post if anything unexpected happens.

Tom

I had the same problem as Eric Powell. In the end I re-installed from the version 8.0 disc that I had bought. It seems to work now and also seems to be version 8.01 when I checked under Help

By "as instructed" do you mean that you downloaded the installer anew from the web site and tried to install it? There should be no need to install as administrator or set compatibility, by the way.

What is the state of your machine now? If there is a partial or unsuccessful installation of version 8 or 8.01 I recommend that you uninstall it and start over with the download from the web site. Accept the "typical" installation if you are satisfied with the default directory structure; if you wish to install in a different directory then you will have to do the "custom" install.

As I understand it, WG is working on smoothing the installer so that this problem don't arise again. As you say, it is annoying -- but fortunately it is also surmountable.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs

I updated 8.01 to 8.02 successfully but an issue is still there.

In the search, some records indicate birth and death dates and some do not.

In a small project with identical records, both contain the same birth and death dates.

The seach by name and birth date record had one with name only, and another record with name and birth and death.

I merged these two records without deleting anything.

After that the search had the two duplicate entries of name, birth date and death date, as it should.

I can now delete the duplicate entry, but the search is lacking.

In the meantime, I will run an optimize, vfi and optimize to see whether it makes any difference. It didn't before, and I have only updated a couple of records.

I am not messing with my primary project at all now.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the search is lacking." For what are you searching, and how are you attempting to do it?

Robert

I am searching the picklist by surname, given name and birthdate.

The search display has surname, given name, birthdate and deathdate displayed.

After the optimize, vfi and optimize with no problems found,

a new search has the birthdate and deathdate REMOVED from the search, but is still in the particular record I had merged.

"Search" is an icon with a picture of a binocular.

Mouse rollover is "Picklist of people".

There are also a couple of choices for picklists, and this is the simple picklist.

The search worked correctly for this and other projects in V7, but this issue appeared with V8.00, V8.01 and V8.02.

Edited by retsof

Mine is working OK with 8.02. Is it possible that the picklist columns for which you are looking have become smaller? Their width is adjustable by dragging the little vertical boundary bars at the coloumn headings.

R.